<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Henkka32

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby Henkka32 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Just Paste this into your message
Name of Swimmer: Hash Brown
Date: 5.12.2018
Shitty excuse: Challenged myself to run it upside down on a tashty level
Actual Reason: Mentally and physically fatigued from pushing myself all day. Picked a nice line down but caught my edge on the way down. Over I went and bumped all the way down into the cauldron. Spent the next two minutes in the most extreme sidesurf of my life and fought my way out. Turns out the undercut on river left loves impeding your paddling on your left side and I was sucked in twice more. Eventually after rolling many times my paddle was ripped from my hands by the hole. One handroll and I knew I was spent. Pulled the deck and went deep. Balled up and starfished twice, each time caught in the towback and recirced. Third time I went into the undercut and genuinely thought my time was up. Luckily I followed the recirculating water into the small eddy inside the cauldron. My adrenaline was pumping and I clinged onto the rockface to get a breath. Steadied my breathing and to my surprise I was pretty okay with the situation and looked at my options out. Lucien and Graham were on the far bank readying ropes while Podge was ready to back them up. I signalled to lads I'd try climbing out and then tried climbing out but there was no foothold low enough. I asked for a rope and a crab that Graham had already prepared. Line was sent over and I caught the rope with a solid gold on the wall with my other hand. The crab I then attached to the stern of my boat that was helping pin me against the wall and gave the all clear. Grabbing the rope and taking a deep breath, Lucien and Graham hauled myself and my boat under Little Eas and I was grabbed by Podge who was in the eddy. The boys pulled me out of the river and we hugged it out. I took a moment to myself and processed what had happened while looking at the situation I was in. Grabbed the splits from my boat and put them together as the paddle had flushed down. Turns out I made left handed paddles and totally was not used to it. A few sketchy eddy catches later and I was greeted by Graham with my paddles he had found. Splits back into the boat and I had another swimming session 200m later. Light swim later and I was back in my boat. Paddled to take out and jumped off the bridge. Had a beer with me so bootie beer was completed at take out.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I knew I was tired and should've been more aware of my surroundings. I've been paddling a long enough time now that I should've hopped out and looked at least. Not beating myself up about it because everybody swims and that being able to walk away from that situation unharmed and wiser for it is a much better way to look at these experiences. Would certainly attribute practicing in holes to my calm approach to the shit hitting the fan.
Persons requiring rescue pints: The three boys. Cheers lads.

JackKenny

Postby JackKenny » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Name of Swimmer: Jack Kenny
Date: 9/3/19
Shitty excuse: I wasn't going to let a stupid tree interfere with the line I wanted.
Real Excuse: Bad river reading. Thought there was an eddy in between 2 bits of brush overhanging the river bank. Got sucked under the downstream tree and capsized. Tried to set up for a roll, felt the rocks on the riverbed and quickly started panicking when I realised I wasn't in the Lower Corrib. Tried pushing up off the bank but I just ended up pushing my upperbody out of the water and out of my boat too.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Nothing really. It was a pretty chill swim on pretty chill water. Little bit of bruised ego in the immediate aftermath but I got over myself when I went down the rest of the river.
Specific Learning Outcomes:
Trees don't make eddies.
Chill out and take a second to look at the colour of the water next time I flip instead of rushing to do something dumb, panic always put you in more danger.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Staples and Fergal had me back in my boat within a minute or two. Cheers lads!
(booty beer still pending)

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

Name of Swimmer: Laoise Plunkett

Date: 6/3/19
Shitty excuse: Running rapids upright isn't all that effective in wearing away the awful black paint on my boat.
Real reason: My paddles knocked off a rock when I capsized and I let go of them, couldn't hand roll so I pulled my deck and swam.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I don't think I recovered until we stopped for pizza.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Con
S.L.O.(s): Everyone should practice cannonball/starfish before you actually need it; it's pretty terrifying to have to trust in something that you've never tried before.

Date: 17/3/19
Shitty excuse: The level was pretty high so there wasn't much clearance between the water and the over-hanging tree. I was wrecked after getting the boat earlier and was struggling to keep up with the lads. I didn't tuck forward, my paddle got caught in the tree and I abandoned it. Capsized over broken weir. After a few attempts, I rolled up, but had to capsize again to avoid getting crowned by another tree. Tried rolling another few times before giving up and pulling my deck.
Real reason: I need to stop letting go of my paddles..
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Trees. Trees everywhere.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Staples and Con
S.L.O.(s) The fastest way of getting down a river is at a speed that everyone is able to paddle at. If you're in a rush, check the the weakest paddler in the group is comfortable with the pace when they still have the option of walking off. In hindsight, I would have stayed with the needy horse in the caravan park.

JackKenny

Postby JackKenny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Name of Swimmer: Mise
Date: 21st & 22nd March
Shitty excuse: First time getting thrown around in that sort of water. I was pretty scared the first day I went out so I didn't put up much a fight when I capsized. Carped my roll once or twice and pulled my deck. 2 swims that day. Also... that set of sea kayaking paddles I have are horrendous.

2nd day I logged a lot of time upside down and got my roll pretty consistently. Got window shaded in a hole and drank some water so pulled my deck again.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: Crashed into some rocks underwater that left me feeling too scared too keep throwing myself into the main wave. Overall I was just really happy to get my roll down though. (most of the time) :roll:
Persons requiring rescue pints: Luke, Henry & Kevin

DiarmuidM

Postby DiarmuidM » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:03 am

Name of Swimmer: Me..
Date: 22nd March
Shitty excuse: Deck implosions don't count as a swim...
Actual Excuse: Got on the wave, washed off, hit the hole sideways, flipped and rolled up. I tried to paddle off the wave train and nothing happened when I took a stroke. I looked down and my deck was off but, and this bit is very important, I was still in the boat. I was trying to make my way to shore to empty out but Con came along and I hopped out because it was easier that he x'ed it for me. Still don't think it counts as a swim though.
SLO: Don't use the shitty cheap deck you got for free with a gear order.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: First swim in my shiny new drysuit. (Being dry after a session is a new and intriguing sensation.)
Persons requiring rescue pints: Con
Bootie beer (Y/N): I'll do it eventually
Diarmuid Magorrian

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Name of Swimmer: Ciara Wall
Date: 11/08/19
Shitty excuse: The moon’s gravitational force pulled me out of my boat
Actual excuse: Been a while since I was on the Glens so I was unsure of the line for Big Eas. Someone we met down there told me to push right at the very beginning of the rapid and “go under the trees”. My God it was a dreadful line… the tree branches had absolutely no give at all and I had to capsize to keep me from getting stuck. Next thing I was upside down getting absolutely thumped by rocks on my head. During this I just about managed to keep two fingers holding onto my paddle. I was running out of breath very quickly and tried to roll up but my paddle hit off something(probably a tree…) and I couldn’t hold out any longer. I had to pull my deck :( I came out of the boat, kept hold of my boat and paddle, and managed to swim into the little eddy on river left opposite the cave eddy.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Quite disappointed with myself. After knowing the lines for the next two laps I was fine. I was also a little shook considering where I swam, I was lucky to have gotten out where I did, boat and all.
Specific learning outcomes: Sometimes you’re better off going for a scout, even if it’s a really quick one.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Managed to self rescue but due to circumstances outside of my control, I required some manpower to pull my boat up the steep bank, so thanks Con and Staples!
Ciara Wall
Training Officer

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Name of Swimmer: Carey Georgius
Date: 05 October 2019
Shitty excuse: There was a ninja rock and technically is it a swim if you didn't pull your deck?
Actual excuse: I saw the rock I just thought paddling into it was a good idea. To be fair it was in the first 10 minutes on the water that day and the nerves were getting to me. Didn't hit the eddy high enough and the rock just caught my edge and capsized me. Hit my head pretty good, but hung on to my paddles.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Pretty disappointed with myself actually, because it was the easiest section we ran all day and I styled everything else.
Specific Learning Outcomes: Stay calm and don't stop paddling!
Persons requiring rescue pints: Self rescues with my paddles, but Laoise got my boat with some very fancy paddling
Carey Georgius
Treasurer
treasurer@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

Emmet_Geoghegan

Postby Emmet_Geoghegan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

Name of Swimmer: Emmet Geoghegan
Date: 5/10/2019
Shitty excuse: Cant think of a better way to cool down after a long day on the water
Actual excuse: Was super tired after a few laps of the river, ran the bottom section and was ferrying across after the last rapid. Capsized on the eddy line and didn't bother to brace. Tried to roll a few times but head kept coming up first. Stuck it out for the T-Rescue but no-one got to me before I ran out of air.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Kinda annoyed with myself tbh. I should have just braced but C'est la vie
Learning Outcomes: Gotta practice rolling when im absolutely exhausted
Swim Bootie: Will be done at Crana :inlove:

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Name of Swimmer: mise
Date: 17/10/19
Shitty excuse: So I had planned on running the far left man-made line, but when we got down as far as the Falls the Fisheries workers were about and we decided they wouldn't take kindly to it. Instead I opted for the right line, because I recognise the line over the falls more easily there. As I was padding towards the lip, the small breaking wave I usually use as a marker was actually a rather small hole, so rather than risk a trip down the chimney I hopped out to have a quick look at the lip. It never occurred to me to look at the bottom of the Falls (no, I can't figure out how I didn't see it either). Happy that I wasn't heading to the chimney, I'd commited to my line before realising that the water was moving a lot quicker than it shou.. oh shit, how did I miss the massive boat eating hole there?! Pulled my deck and cannonball-star fished out.
b]Actual reason:[/b] :-?: I'm struggling here..
Emotional Issues arising from the event: It all happened so quickly, it was a surprisingly chill swim.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Con threw me a rope for moral support as I lamented the loss of my shoe, but I self rescued my paddles and boat. I even got my shoe back as it floated past. :angel:
Specific Learning Outcomes: Just follow Con.

DiarmuidM

Postby DiarmuidM » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Name of Swimmer: Seamus

Date: 5/10/19

Shitty excuse: As our wise safety officer said at the top, "You can only run something completely blind once."

Actual excuse: I knew there was a sort of diagonal hole at the bottom so the plan was to fly on down then punch through the hole. What actually happened is I went into the hole sideways as it wasn't quite as diagonal as I thought. Got bounced around a bit and thought I'd got out of it a few times, window shaded and got spat out (courtesy to Luke's excellent diagram). As I set up for the roll I fucked my hand off a rock, dropped the paddle and pulled the Jesus Cord ®.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: Safety officers are not to be trusted.

Persons requiring rescue pints: Ciara and staples for shunting me to the eddy.

SLO: If you're doing a blind run, make sure someone is pointing a camera at you. From the laughing on the bank, the footage would have been pretty entertaining.
Diarmuid Magorrian

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 pm

DiarmuidM wrote:Shitty excuse: As our wise safety officer said at the top, "You can only run something completely blind once.

True, unless you capsize at the top of said rapid.

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Name of Swimmer: You all know me at this stage..
Date: 19/10/19
Shitty excuse: A lot of people had been dropping into the room of doom and I wanted to experience first hand what all the fuss was about.
Actual reason: I messed up my line.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: One of the less enjoyable swims I've had.
Learning Outcomes: When the fun stops, stop.

JackKenny

Postby JackKenny » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Name of Swimmer: Jack Kenny
Date: 19th & 20th October 2019
Shitty excuse: I had 3 swims. Got a lot of paddling in. One was a deck implosion. One was just a bit shallow for rolling. Could have avoided the last one if my offside roll was any good because I was up against a wall on my good side. Sure if you're not swimming you're not learning as a fella says.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Nothing much. I'm a bit too swim-happy at the minute. Got off lucky.
Persons requiring rescue pints: I think it might be quicker to list the people I don't owe rescue pints to at this stage.