AGM 2018/2019

Fergal.Staples1

AGM 2018/2019

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi guys,

We are holding an AGM on the 5th of April to elect a new committee. If you're going for Captain, Safety, Training you must give a short speech on the night. Nominations for these positions cannot be taken on the night.

Review of motions passed at the EGM in January can be found on the relevant forum post.

AGM location and time to be confirmed.

AGM will begin at 7.30 in the Anderson Theatre.

Any nominations or motions can be posted below or emailed to committee@nuigkc.com

Agenda:

-Officer Reports
-Motions Received
-Elections: Committee 2018/2019
-Any Other Business

http://www.nuigkc.com/committee if you're thinking of running for a position, read through what each position does to give you an idea. You can also ask committee members, past and present.

All committee positions are up for grabs, they include: Captain, Safety Officer, Training Officer, Secretary, Public Relations Officer, First year Rep, Equipments Officer, Treasurer and GMIT Captain.

Committee that is voted in will be in positions until January 2020, as per the motion passed at the EGM in January.

Motions:

Nominations:

Captain
- Fergal Stapleton Ciara Wall
Safety - Fergal Stapleton
Training - Ciara Wall
PRO - Cian McGuinness
Treasurer - Carey Georgius

Committee Voted in:
Captain - Fergal
Safety - Staples (interim basis)
Training - Ciara W
Equipments - Jack K
Treasurer - Carey
Secretary - Harry F
Pro - Cian Job
FYR - Megan
Last edited by Fergal.Staples1 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Staples
First Year Rep.

Re: AGM 2018/2019

Postby Staples » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Have location and time been decided?

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:01 pm

For the lazy. The EGM motions from earlier this year that passed can be found below.

- Hold the AGM in January instead of April each year.

- Have the list of forum admins be reviewed every year, so that the forum is actually admined by either current students or year's grace students rather than ofbs who are no longer associated with the club.

- Every year the committee will publish a rough spending budget, when the club grant comes in.

- Students on placement/working abroad cannot act on committee, bar PRO.

- For positions other than captain/safety, if a vacancy arises the committee can opt on a new member without an EGM

- Approved list of instructors to be published for different grades of whitewater

- Approved list of trip leaders to be published, as distinct from those qualified to instruct. While the S.O. may approve a trip, it is the trip leader's responsibility for ensuring that his/her trip is carried out safely. The S.O. must deem these paddlers competent and responsible before they can be placed on the Trip Leader list. At a minimum the Trip Leader shall be able to assess river conditions (when they arrive and as the trip progress) to know when it becomes too un-safe. The Trip Leader must also be stable/cool enough to handle the responsibility of dealing with safety situations as they arise (set up rescue, walk out etc.).

- Have a support council comprising of 2 - 4 people alumni or current members to support safety in a purely advisory role, this will make sure the safety officers position does not become compromised or have a conflict of interest and back up important decisions and sanctions.

Previous AGM/EGM motions compiled into a rulebook

Cathal Kelly

Postby Cathal Kelly » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Adding to Staples' post with motions from the January 2019 EGM, the two items below were passed previously but aren't in the rulebook.
Motion - passed previously: Whitewater trips (beyond the Lower Corrib) to be approved in advance by the Safety Officer.
The Safety Officer can nominate a select few paddlers, which he/she deems competent, to approve trips on their behalf for situations where they are un-contactable. The approval procedure cannot be bypassed by a committee member.

Motion - reworded slightly: Where is no active safety officer, or the current officer/committee has been deemed incompetent at managing hazards/risk, a member of the safety advisory panel (either a student or an alumni) can be step in as safety officer on an interim basis.

New Motion (kind of an ecumenical matter): Overall club captain can be a student of NUIG or GMIT.
NUIG and GMIT both to appoint a vice-captain. Once of these will be voted as the overall club captain at the AGM/EGM.

New Motion (if the above is passed): Should the current club captain resign, the vice-captain may take on the position of overall captain on an interim basis.

The above 2 motions in combination, should help keep the club open if captain/safety resign. As a backup though...

Alternative Motion (if NUIG-GMIT specific captains are retained): Should either the NUIG/GMIT club captain resign, the remaining NUIG/GMIT captain may take on the position of overall club captain on an interim basis.
You could say Safety officer can become Captain aswell on an interim basis.
hmm to go drinking or to go paddling
cathal.kayak@gmail.com

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Cathal Kelly wrote:New Motion (kind of an ecumenical matter): Overall club captain can be a student of NUIG or GMIT.
NUIG and GMIT both to appoint a vice-captain. Once of these will be voted as the overall club captain at the AGM/EGM.

This has previously been discussed with Kathy / sports office. The standing taken by them at the time was that as the club is primarily an NUIG club (on NUIG grounds, equipment owned ultimately by the NUIG sports office, etc.) both the Captain and Safety Officer would have to be NUIG students, and not GMIT students.

Though, by all means, re-approach this topic with them if the motion passes. I think a loophole could definitely be found if the NUIG VC reported to the sports office, but the GMIT VC was the one who overall steered the direction of the committee, if such a situation were ever to arise. It would be a case of need to know, nice to know.

Cathal Kelly wrote:You could say Safety officer can become Captain aswell on an interim basis.

When I was on the committee, it was always my understanding that this was the case, no harm to arrive at a concrete solution though to prevent possible misinterpretation in future.

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Following the AGM, can an Admin update the motion document, located in this thread, please? It hasn't been updated since the 2014 AGM...

I'll have the document prepared, I just can't upload to that thread

DiarmuidM

Postby DiarmuidM » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am

Staples wrote:Following the AGM, can an Admin update the motion document, located in this thread, please? It hasn't been updated since the 2014 AGM...

I'll have the document prepared, I just can't upload to that thread

No problem.
Diarmuid Magorrian

Fergal.Staples1

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 pm

I would like to nominate myself as Captain and/or Safety

DiarmuidM

Postby DiarmuidM » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:53 am

I can't make it tonight so I'm giving Ger my proxy vote.
Diarmuid Magorrian

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 pm

I'd like to go for captain and/ or training officer.
Ciara Wall
F.Y.R.

gerard.k
Captain

Postby gerard.k » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm

I would like to put forward a motion to over turn the rule that "The rent on a CC party's proposal should be no more or less than that asked by the tender to prevent a situation where safety and qualifications come 2nd to money"

CianMcGuinness

Postby CianMcGuinness » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Ill nominate myself for PRO

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Want to go ahead and nominate myself for position of treasurer. Since I'm gonna be on a plane during the AGM, Ger has my voting powers by proxy.
Carey Georgius
Captain
captain@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

CianaComer1

Postby CianaComer1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 pm

I won't be there tonight l, so laoise has my proxy vote
Ciana Comer
Secretary
secretary@nuigkc.com

Jrob