Shutdown of the club

CianaComer1

Shutdown of the club

Postby CianaComer1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've all heard at this stage, the club has been shut down by the sports office as they do not have faith that the club can be run safely at the moment. As you are probably aware the safety officer has stepped down and the club captain has been asked to step away from the role. Lucien endeavoured to retake his position as safety officer but due to the reasons he stepped down and the looming exams, the sports office and himself came to the conclusion it would not be the best decision for the club in the long run. We shouldn't expect anything before college resumes next semester.
The sports office decision is final and contacting them in regard to the matter at the moment will only make the process of reopening the club more difficult. We, the committee, ask that you refrain from contacting them. Feel free to post any questions below this post, we'll do our best to answer them!

The lock has been changed on the shed by security. If you wish to get any personal gear, you will need approval from the sports office and then to arrange a time with security.

This doesn't mean that we can't go paddling with private gear, there's lots of rain at the minute, we'll just get changed in the engineering building, there's HOT showers!

See you on the water
Last edited by CianaComer1 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ciana Comer
Secretary
secretary@nuigkc.com

Alan O'D

Re: Shutdown of the club

Postby Alan O'D » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 pm

♫♫ Memorieeeees....light the corners of my mind...♫♫

Good luck with the reboot boys and girls :)

Most Hon. Ex-Captain Alan O'Dwyer - Hero of the NUIG Kayak Club
^>^>^>^>^>^>^>

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:51 pm

What happened?

^>^>^>^>^>^>

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 pm

As far as I could make out, the Captain won't resign despite being asked to do so by committee and sports office. Kind of like a Robert Mugabe scenario.

That and the safety officer resigned too because his sanctions were being ignored and he got sick of being berated for a role he did as the the most experienced boater.

Our shut-down was waaay better- Brady for Captain.

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm

AndrewR wrote:As far as I could make out, the Captain won't resign despite being asked to do so by committee and sports office. Kind of like a Robert Mugabe scenario.

That and the safety officer resigned too because his sanctions were being ignored and he got sick of being berated for a role he did as the the most experienced boater.

Our shut-down was waaay better- Brady for Captain.

I don't Think Its fair to be pointing fingers at people as no one apart from committee know the full story .
I've heard a few sides to it and from what i can see .

1. Club Rule's Were Defiantly Broken and Disregarded.

2. Standard Sanctions for first offences were not adhered to. These were unfair towards some members involved and borderline discriminatory in my opinion ,but saying this i don't know the full story.

3. Past members put in an incredible amount of Work drawing up the new rules and sanctions to allow the club to function back in 2010 to 2012 . I don't think current members realize the amount of work that was put in to allow the club to get back to being open. Some Members in the club Are either disregarding these rules as guidelines or simply not aware of the rules in the first place .

I Hate to see the club being shut down but i personally feel it may be the right thing to do until problems are ironed out .
Hopefully the club will not be restricted to flat water for the year and will get out paddling as soon as the problems are sorted and continue to prosper .
Just remember the club is always one step away from being shut down so don't do anything stupid it may come back to bite you !

Hopefully The Committee will get back on its feet and become stronger and more effective ,

Maybe an Elders/OFB council should be formed so the safety Officer can consult them if needed and act if a appeal is lodged against a decision .This would ensure what ever the safety officer says is final and there is no dispute or arguments and decisions would be fair and impartial .

If both Captain and safety positions are vacant due to one resignation and one being asked to step down , a full election should take place to re-elect a committee to ensure the club are happy with all committee members and the committee functions.

See ye on the water .
085-seven2four0seven3two

RobKierans

Postby RobKierans » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 pm

My Tell All Book will be available for purchase on the 7th of December in all good book shops for only €59.99

Gain unpresented access into the inner workings of the Kayak Club in explicit detail !

Reviews

Daily Mail
" Horribly misspelled "

New York Times
"Virtually Unreadable"

Irish Times
" Pure shit 0/5 "

Snapchat-1897398990.jpg
Snapchat-1897398990.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 811 times

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm

RobKierans wrote:My Tell All Book will be available for purchase on the 7th of December in all good book shops for only €59.99

Gain unpresented access into the inner workings of the Kayak Club in explicit detail !

Reviews

Daily Mail
" Horribly misspelled "

New York Times
"Virtually Unreadable"

Irish Times
" Pure shit 0/5 "

Snapchat-1897398990.jpg

I had a good chuckle

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Hahahahaha!

Can we get the bonus edition - Corrib Canoe Chronicles?

RobKierans

Postby RobKierans » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 pm

AndrewR wrote:Hahahahaha!

Can we get the bonus edition - Corrib Canoe Chronicles?

It's handed in for review , but it's too similar to the wolf of wall street so I'm having to tone down the story to satisfy the publisher !

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 am

RobKierans wrote:My Tell All Book will be available for purchase on the 7th of December in all good book shops for only €59.99

Reviews

Daily Mail
" Horribly misspelled "

New York Times
"Virtually Unreadable"

Irish Times
" Pure shit 0/5 "

Snapchat-1897398990.jpg

Best post on the board in at least 5 years

^>^>^>^>^>^>

Alan O'D

Postby Alan O'D » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54 am

Mark McNally wrote:Best post on the board in at least 5 years
Seconded. I can't wait to read Corrib Canoe Chronicles, I've always wanted to know what was going on inside those safety meetings.

Perhaps this shut down is all part of a natural healthy cycle?

1. Rules and safety slip until club gets shut down
2. Inspires unholy amounts of effort to shore up rules and safety to reopen club
3. Club functions healthily with updated rules
4. People who were there for all of this leave
5. Day by day grip on rules and safety weakens as new members don't know what they stand to lose
6. Return to step 1.

Fellow OFBs, we have to assume our role. As I understand it our job will be to:
Demand the committee take action, then mock them mercilessly for doing so
Demand new rules and sanctions are implemented, then immediately break those rules and ignore the sanctions
Avoid providing so-called 'constructive input', but instead provide guidance through ad hominem attacks

This is the path to NUIGKC 3.0
^>^>^>^>^>^>^>

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 am

ultanobyrne wrote:I don't Think Its fair to be pointing fingers at people as no one apart from committee know the full story .

If the committee aren't informing people what happened then people can point fingers wherever they please. I heard it's because of Barry and Andrew, they were always upset that they didn't get the job finished the first time round.

^>^>^>^>^>^>

TowelGuy

Postby TowelGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Alan O'D wrote:
Demand new rules and sanctions are implemented, then immediately break those rules and ignore the sanctions
Avoid providing so-called 'constructive input', but instead provide guidance through ad hominem attacks

This is the path to NUIGKC 3.0

Second that
Twin 2
A.k.a No Legs