EGM 2018/19

User avatar
CianaComer1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 am

EGM 2018/19

Postby CianaComer1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

We are holding an EGM on the 16th of January to elect a new captain and safety officer. If you're going for either position you'll need to make a short speech, outlining your plan for the next semester.

EGM will take place in the Anderson at 7pm.

Any nominations or motions can be posted below or emailed to committee@nuigkc.com


Motions:
- Limit the number of racks per person NOT PASSED

- Alongside approval from the sports office, people who are technically students (not graduated) but are taking a year out may be on committee for a maximum of one year at a time. NOT PASSED

- Hold the AGM in September instead of April each year.
AMENDMENT - to be held in janaury (month before varsities).

- Have the list of forum admins be reviewed every year, so that the forum is actually admined by either current students or year's grace students rather than ofbs who are no longer associated with the club. PASSED

- Every year the committee will publish a rough spending budget, when the club grant comes in. PASSED

- Students studying/working abroad for a semester cannot act on the committee during that time.
AMENDMENT - Students on placement/working abroad cannot act on committee, bar PRO. PASSED

- For positions other than captain/safety, if a vacancy arises the committee can opt on a new member without an EGM (compliments the first motion and is a common thing anyway but maybe not in writing) PASSED

- Rack allocation to be based on activity of paddlers. At the discretion of the equipment officer, gear belonging to inactive paddlers can be moved to the broken boat area at the back of the shed to make room for new/active paddlers. (I don't think racks are really a thing to go into the club constitution but seeing as it is a topic I figured I would put out a counter argument). It should be at the discretion of the Equipments Office, how many rack spaces each paddler is permitted.
add on Motion: Rack allocation not to be monetised. This impacts active paddlers (most who have two boats) who contribute to the club more than inactive ones (with one dusty boat). EQUIPMENT OFFCIER

- Where there is no active safety officer, or the current officer/committee has been deemed incompetent at managing hazards/risk, an alumni can be appointed as safety officer on an interim basis. (I believe this was brought in the last time the club was shut down)

- Whitewater trips to be approved in advance by the Safety Officer (already a procedure, but maybe not a rule).
add-on motion - The Safety Officer can nominate a select few paddlers, which he/she deems competent, to approve trips on their behalf for situations where they are un-contactable. No committee member, including the captain, can bypass this procedure.

- Approved list of instructors to be published for different grades of whitewater (there was a framework like this set up to help the club get back up and running again). PASSED

- Approved list of trip leaders to be published, as distinct from those qualified to instruct. While the S.O. may approve a trip, it is the trip leader's responsibility for ensuring that his/her trip is carried out safely. The S.O. must deem these paddlers competent and responsible before they can be placed on the Trip Leader list. At a minimum the Trip Leader shall be able to assess river conditions (when they arrive and as the trip progress) to know when it becomes too un-safe. The Trip Leader must also be stable/cool enough to handle the responsibility of dealing with safety situations as they arise (set up rescue, walk out etc.). PASSED

- Have a support council comprising of 2 - 4 people alumni or current members to support safety in a purely advisory role, this will make sure the safety officers position does not become compromised or have a conflict of interest and back up important decisions and sanctions. PASSED

- Captain must be suitable qualified for the grade of water to make decisions on IE if only a level 2 can't make decisions on higher grade trips , if unsure council of experienced paddlers can be consulted NOT PASSED

To be covered by club insurance/use club gear must be current registered student/alumni.
Email from sports office includes quotation.

CAPTAIN
Podge

SAFETY
Daniel Burke
Last edited by CianaComer1 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ciana Comer
Secretary
secretary@nuigkc.com
0876436092

User avatar
DiarmuidM
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby DiarmuidM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Motion: Limit the number of racks per person. Open to suggestions on number of racks.
Diarmuid Magorrian
0838776093

User avatar
Jrob
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby Jrob » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Motion: Alongside approval from the sports office, people who are technically students (not graduated) but are taking a year out may be on committee for a maximum of one year at a time.

(I don't think this is disallowed technically but id like it to be a motion)
James Robertson, 16364521
pro@nuigkc.com

laoiseplunkett
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby laoiseplunkett » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Motion: hold the AGM in September instead of April each year.

There's a four-month break between when people run for positions and when they have to step up and take responsibility for it. A lot can change over the summer. If the AGM were to be held in September each year, people would be sure of their personal circumstances and have their timetables (and a better idea of the amount of free time they'd have for the role).
Hopefully this would cut down on the amount of EGMs needed.

This would enable an actual first year to run for the position of FYR.

The Corrib Canoe handover would be dealt with by the same committee.




Motion: In order to take a committee position, you must be present at the AGM/EGM.

If you cannot commit an hour or two to sit through an AGM, you shouldn't be running for a position imo.


Sorry, I know that's all a bit long, but hopefully by explaining my reasoning here it will cut down on the time spent debating it on the night.

User avatar
Tiernan Stapleton
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:24 am
Location: idk... plz send help

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby Tiernan Stapleton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Motion: Have the list of forum admins be reviewed every year, so that the forum is actually admined by either current students or year's grace students rather than ofbs who are no longer associated with the club.
Tiernan :-o

Aran K
Admin
Admin
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby Aran K » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Tiernan Stapleton wrote:Motion: Have the list of forum admins be reviewed every year, so that the forum is actually admined by either current students or year's grace students rather than ofbs who are no longer associated with the club.


This was generally done but I think has slipped since the forum has become less active. I'm quite happy to give anyone really interested mod permissions and if someone's got some tech interest/experience, an admin account.
The committee group have almost all the mod permissions from what I remember anyways.

The website is managed entirely separate and again, happy to give access to anyone who needs it (although I think Diamuid actually manages this now?).

Yes I do have admin privileges - Diarmuid
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

User avatar
Staples
First Year Rep.
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Rivers, not lectures

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby Staples » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Motion: Every year the committee will publish a rough spending budget, when the club grant comes in. Ie. 25% of the budget will be on varsities, 10% on Donegal, 15% on training courses etc.

The idea behind this is that people who would be looking to run trips/training courses etc. (Scotland this year for example) would have a rough idea of how much money will be available to subsidize the trip etc.

I won't be at the EGM bc I'll be at work, so I hope that I've made this clear enough to not require clarification on the night. Let me know if I need to clarify any points.

User avatar
l.whelan11
Treasurer
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby l.whelan11 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Aran K wrote:Yes I do have admin privileges - Diarmuid


Understandable flex
0858441590
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

User avatar
DiarmuidM
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby DiarmuidM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 am

Where and when is the egm on?
Diarmuid Magorrian
0838776093

User avatar
CianaComer1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 am

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby CianaComer1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 am

DiarmuidM wrote:Where and when is the egm on?


Wednesday (16th) at 7pm in the Anderson
Ciana Comer
Secretary
secretary@nuigkc.com
0876436092

User avatar
CianaComer1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 am

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby CianaComer1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Any more motions please send them in :-D
Ciana Comer
Secretary
secretary@nuigkc.com
0876436092

User avatar
Cathal Kelly
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:21 pm
Location: da Kingdom
Contact:

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby Cathal Kelly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Motion: Students studying/working abroad for a semester cannot act on the committee during that time.

Motion: For positions other than captain/safety, if a vacancy arises the committee can opt on a new member without an EGM (compliments the first motion and is a common thing anyway but maybe not in writing)

Motion: Rack allocation to be based on activity of paddlers. At the discretion of the equipment officer, gear belonging to inactive paddlers can be moved to the broken boat area at the back of the shed to make room for new/active paddlers. (I don't think racks are really a thing to go into the club constitution but seeing as it is a topic I figured I would put out a counter argument). It should be at the discretion of the Equipments Office, how many rack spaces each paddler is permitted.
add on Motion: Rack allocation not to be monetised. This impacts active paddlers (most who have two boats) who contribute to the club more than inactive ones (with one dusty boat).

Motion: Where is no active safety officer, or the current officer/committee has been deemed incompetent at managing hazards/risk, an alumni can be appointed as safety officer on an interim basis. (I believe this was brought in the last time the club was shut down)

Motion: Whitewater trips to be approved in advance by the Safety Officer (already a procedure, but maybe not a rule).
add-on motion - The Safety Officer can nominate a select few paddlers, which he/she deems competent, to approve trips on their behalf for situations where they are un-contactable. No committee member, including the captain, can bypass this procedure.

Motion: Approved list of instructors to be published for different grades of whitewater (there was a framework like this set up to help the club get back up and running again).

Motion: Approved list of trip leaders to be published, as distinct from those qualified to instruct. While the S.O. may approve a trip, it is the trip leader's responsibility for ensuring that his/her trip is carried out safely. The S.O. must deem these paddlers competent and responsible before they can be placed on the Trip Leader list. At a minimum the Trip Leader shall be able to assess river conditions (when they arrive and as the trip progress) to know when it becomes too un-safe. The Trip Leader must also be stable/cool enough to handle the responsibility of dealing with safety situations as they arise (set up rescue, walk out etc.).

Motion: Where is no active safety officer, or the current officer/committee has been deemed incompetent at managing hazards/risk, an alumni can be appointed as safety officer on an interim basis. (I believe this was brought in the last time the club was shut down)
hmm to go drinking or to go paddling
0860880575
cathal.kayak@gmail.com

ultanobyrne
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby ultanobyrne » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm

adding to cathals motion,
Have a support council comprising of 2 - 4 people ofbs or current members to support safety in a purely advisory role, this will make sure the safety officers position does not become compromised or have a conflict of interest and back up important decisions and sanctions .. Some one can probably word this better but I hope I've got my point across.

Second motion,

Captain must be suitable qualified for the grade of water to make decisions on IE if only a lv2 can't make decisions on higher grade trips , if unsure council of elders/experienced paddlers can be consulted..
085-seven2four0seven3two

RobKierans
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: EGM 2018/19

Postby RobKierans » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Cathal Kelly 4 C :clap: aptain
GMIT captain !