The Alps- What you need to bring...

Everything and anything on NUIGKC trips to the Alps
AndrewR
Traitor

The Alps- What you need to bring...

Postby AndrewR » Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Alps Trip 2010 suggested inventory:

JK covered alot in his posts below on personal camping equipment and personal gear, is there anything people would like to add. As said in a previous post I think everyone should have an aquapac like thing for contacting each other on river bank.

We can also take a proper look here and see what gear we can pool as Rob's previous thread tried to do.

Have a look at the maestro's wise words below.
Cheers

JK wrote:Cheap camping chairs
With can holder as Willsy recommended. These are INVALUABLE. If you do not have one of these, you'll be sitting on the ground every evening. Less than fifteen bucks if I recall correctly, from Decathlon.

--Head torch.
They're just the business. Keeps your hands free and your way lit. They're expensive enough in Galway, and the only brands you can get are the higher end, black diamond and Petzl. They're great, but a bit too dear. I recommend a cheap as chips ebay jobbie like this one herefor just over a fiver. They're just as good for what you need them for, and I have no problem ordering a few for people if they so wish. Just mark your name on them if we order a load of identical ones...

--Airbed and sleeping bag.
Chances are we'll be staying in the same campsite as opposed to driving round to different areas every few days, so you'll want some comfort, as well as warmth. It gets down mighty cold in the night, sub zero regularly, and you'll regret relying on the shitty Aldi sleeping you got for Oxegen. I bought one in RDMH for ninety bucks and it does the business, but a cheaper alternative would be piling a few heavy tops over you at night. Bring a hat or two for your head in bed. Also, the airbed is better than a foam mat for long term sleeping comfort, as well as keeping you further off the ground. Put a towel under the sleeping bag for extra insulation. I also bought a travel pillow for a fiver on ebay, they're handy for long car drives too.

--Tents
The worst that your tent will have to put up with is rain over there, so as long as it's put up right, it'll be fine. A lot of people I know didn't bring their own tents, but bought two second tents in Decathlon for eighty ish quid. They sleep 2 or three, depending on the model, and are handy enough I guess, but are damn unwieldy and cumbersome when packed up. They're not for camping without cars. I'll be bringing my own dome tent. We will have to pay for the camp lots, so don't expect to bring twelve tents for twelve people. Bunk up, and leave yours at home.
[edit]Make sure your tent is in good condition before bringing it! Put it up on a fine evening first and check it stands up.

--Electrics
I presume everyone will be bringing and wanting to charge some or all of the following - digital camera, camcorder, mp3 player, battery charger, laptop, PSP/DS, mobile phone etc. France has the same voltage as us, just a different socket, and the best way to go about this is to bring just a few plug adaptors for the french sockets, and some four way extension leads. Remember, we've to share the campsites and don't want to monopolise the sockets. Also, security is grand over there as long as you use some common sense. Hide away anything in plain sight, bring expensive shit in the car if you're nervous about it, but tbh leave it in Ireland if you can't afford to lose it. Another handy addition is bringing an FM transmitter for people's mp3 players, as we'll be in the cars a lot driving to the rivers, and they mightn't have cd players. Again, about ten bucks on ebay. French radio stations are SHIT and seem to repeat the same five songs ad nauseum. A small amp is handy for music while chilling too, I might bring mine.
Note - mobile signal can be patchy as hell in the valleys.
Also, BEWARE of the electric socket boxes. They're made of some sort of glass fibre, and will irritate the HELL out of your skin. Don't touch them in bare sleeves.

--Personal cooking/eating utinsils

Knife, fork and spoon
Bowl/plate for eating from. I recommend bringing light camping pots. They're made of aluminium, and will take a lot more abuse than cheap plastic plates that WILL break on their first use, if not before.
Tea towel for washing your shit after eating.
Steel/old mug for drinking.
This is only for yourself for eating with. This is not the communal cooking apparatus that will be needed for cooking the meals with. In fact, I smell a separate thread

Other bits and bobs include:

Sunglasses (dead handy going up cols, as the whiteness is pretty blinding)
Sun screen(be careful of putting too much on near latex seals)
After sun
Moisturiser (skin gets very dry over there)
Sandals
Rain jacket
2 x towels
Insect repellant
A few books. You can swap with others on the trip as well.
Sun hat
You won't need a third as much clothes as you think you need. You'll be spending the majority of every day in your paddling gear, so just some shorts and t shirts, as well as a heavy top and maybe one or two pairs of pants at the most. Wet clothes also dry very quickly when hung out.
Musical instrument?

CORKSCREWS. Wine and beer is the preferred drinking solution over there. You'll get a crate of 24 small bottles of decent french white beer for about six euro, and wine for a euro or so. But bring CORKSCREWS!
I presume the club will be bringing a full tool set too, for fixing boats over there, and tightening/loosening/cutting shit.

NOTE - we'll be up pretty high, a good few thousand feet, with the cols even higher, so be mindful that the altitude can do strange things to you. We had everything from chronic farting to dry skin to diarrhoea and nightmares last time.

Medical note - if you take any prescription medicines, make sure to get a prescription that'll last you the duration ofthe trip. Likewise, if you have any allergies or conditions, always make sure and tell someone about it, and where your meds are if you suffer an attack.

JK wrote:For running Grade III/IV rivers over there, I recommend having the following:

--Good thermals!
We're in the French Alps during the Alpine melting season. This is water coming from snowfall and glaciers. It's clear as glass, and freezing cold. The sun is lovely and warm, but immersion is cold, and will chill you significantly unless you're adequately prepared. Rashies and t shirts won't cut it here. A wetsuit is good, thermals and drycags are better. I'm going to hazard a guess and presume that the club wetsuits will be provided to those with no thermals of their own?
It's about finding the balance. It's plenty warm paddling, but you want to be prepared for swimming in damn cold water.

--Air bags in your boat
We'll all be pushing it up a level or so over here, and swims may happen a bit more than you're used to. Put two air bags in your boat, be kind to your would be rescuers. If you're strapped for cash, get some beach balls and see if they fit half deflated down the stern. In the event of a swim, they'll also hold tight whatever gear you have in the stern.
If ye want to get a bulk order of airbags, I'll be able to sort a discount on some Bliss Stick ones. They'll fit most boats though.

--Neoprene deck
I've a feeling this is a moot point for most of ye, but if you don't have a deck yet, you'll need one for the trip. A club one won't cut it. Chances are you'll be getting pinned a few times, and you don't want a damn nylon deck vainly trying to keep the water out.

--River Shoes
These aren't the booties you get for thirty bucks in RDMH or a sailing shop. They need a strong sole that you can walk comfortably on rough ground with. Teva, NRS, Keen all make decent ones. Old runners are better than nothing if you can't afford ones, but I really recommend against just relying on typhoon I use neoprene socks with heavy sandals with a good sole.

--Crabs and slings

2 x large crabs, and 1 x 1m closed sling at least.

That's the bare minimum that everyone should have in with them on the river, with a throwbag and knife highly recommended,a whistle in/on your BA, a pin kit in every group, a med kit or two in every group, and long rope in every group. I brought splits with me, but didn't need them. That said, we did bring four or five extra sets of club blades for the eventual swims and accompanying losses of gear.

But regarding good value rescue gear, specifically locking 'biners and slings, it is cheaper to buy them there.

I recommend that the club stop in a Decathlon as soon as we get mobile.
Decathlon is a massive hyper marché, just geared to outdoor pursuits. You can get rashies, slings, all sorts of pulleys, crabs, everything there for about 30-45% cheaper than Ireland. I realise that most people will have some or all of this already, but it's a cheap way to make sure everyone has the basics. Also, it's a good place for the club to stock up on pin kits for itself.

I know this seems like a lot of expense, but most of ye have a lot if not all of this already. If not, beg borrow or steal the remainder, and cheaper methods can be substituted in as well.
Last edited by AndrewR on Wed May 19, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grassey
O.F.B.

Re: Th Alps- What you need to bring...

Postby Grassey » Wed May 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Cheap camping chairs
With can holder as Willsy recommended. These are INVALUABLE. If you do not have one of these, you'll be sitting on the ground every evening. Less than fifteen bucks if I recall correctly, from Decathlon.

But regarding good value rescue gear, specifically locking 'biners and slings, it is cheaper to buy them there.

chairs are €9 in dunnes, least they have been for the last few years

and there are no shops in italy to get stuff, 1st kayak shop we'll prob hit is at the durance get on, and decathalon is another 80km down the road, so if you are relying on getting stuff the 1st day there it wont happen, we prob wont be in a sporting shop til day 6or later
Image Image

Grassey
O.F.B.

Re: The Alps- What you need to bring...

Postby Grassey » Sun May 23, 2010 2:42 pm

chairs are €10 in dunnes at the min, picked one up earlier, none of that stool craic, you'll regret it immensly
Image Image

Grassey
O.F.B.

Postby Grassey » Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 pm

Who has radios? or knows someone who does?
Image Image

johns86

Postby johns86 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:21 am

From UKRGB
If people are coming out to camp over the next few weeks make sure you bring good sleeping bags/warm clothes - it is really still cold at night especially with all the snow around higher up.
John 0863352900
Gtalk: johnstaunton86@gmail.com
msn: johns86@hotmail.com
www.d-john.com

Bessie
O.F.B.

Postby Bessie » Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Grassey wrote:Who has radios? or knows someone who does?

Nope dont have any
Seriously whats the worst that could happen?...........Well, you could crash the f*ckin van!

(Click on the Pic!)

Grassey
O.F.B.

Postby Grassey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Just bought 2 cheap radios there now.

Staunton can you give CA my other one, JK should have one too, then we have one for every car + van i reckon.
Image Image

johns86

Postby johns86 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Bump!
Read this folks...
John 0863352900
www.d-john.com

johns86

Postby johns86 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Does anyone have any 2-way radios?? I have 2, but ideally we'd have more. Also, my ones aren't very powerful.
John 0863352900
www.d-john.com

johns86

Postby johns86 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:33 am

Did anyone manage to get into the locker yet? If we can't find the key at this stage, we should probably just cut it and put on a new lock. Security have a lock cutter if we can't get in.
John 0863352900
www.d-john.com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 am

No luck yet. Kingfisher didn't even know we had a locker never mind tell me which one it was or have a spare key.. So ya. Cut it off is the next step.
Does anyone know which locker it actually is?
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Conor McC

Postby Conor McC » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Does the equipments officer not have a big bunch of keys? I think I'd recognise the locker and key if I had them.

If someone can bring all the keys to me I'll see if I can open the locker. I'll be in the reading room all day for the week.

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Cheers Conor! I might give you a buzz later today if I get a chance so
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

johns86

Postby johns86 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 pm

John 0863352900
www.d-john.com

johns86

Postby johns86 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 am

Anyone have 2 way radios? Will ask Rory as well.
John 0863352900
www.d-john.com