<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

D.Burke99

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby D.Burke99 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Name: Daniel Burke
Date: 28/12/17
Shitty excuse: I was hungover t'fuck and half listened to Barry explaining the line.
Real excuse: First gorge just wanted a hug
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Confidence knock after 7 years of not swimming
Persons requiring rescue pints: Barry, Cathal & Luke
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Not yet
0864453505 - How's yer mother for onions ;-)

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Name of Swimmer: mise
Date: 13-1-18
Shitty excuse: I was paddling so badly that a swim seemed inevitable; I figured I'd be best off getting it out of the way on a rapid that had safety set up.
Real excuse: I fucked my line over the first drop and panicked when the hole turned out to be stickier than anticipated
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Seriouly considered walking off the river and never getting back in a creeker
Persons requiring rescue pints: Cathal Kelly for roping me out, I've no idea who got my boat or paddles though

PatrickB1718

Postby PatrickB1718 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Name of Swimmer:Patrick Brennan

Date: 20/01/2018 (Second time ever running the full river; apart from Top Drop)

Shitty Excuse:My noble intentions of rescuing Erin backfired in my face

Real excuse:I'm an idiot, The group was too close together, as pointed out moments earlier by Con, we should listen to him next time, Anyway Erin hit a tree and swam in front of me, In my haste to rescue Erin I then hit a tree, capsized rolled up, hit a second tree capsized again and calmly pulled my deck as a precaution as I was afraid that if I fought too long that I would end up getting pinned in the trees.

Emotional issues arising from the event: Mild Frustration, It was a stupid mistake and I should have known better, the swim was all very chilled and nobody was hurt anyway so its all good

Persons requiring rescue pints: Nobody on this occasion, My gear eddied out behind me and I was able to swim to the bank. Cheers to Con for helping me empty my boat on the bank though :D

Learning Outcomes: Do the simple things right, Space out the group more and don't be foolish enough to try and rescue those in trees if it puts you in a swimming situation

Swim Bootie:No

Tiernan Stapleton

Postby Tiernan Stapleton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Name of Swimmer: Tiernan Stapleton
Date: 20/01/2018
Shitty Excuse: I've crossed a dangerous rock mob family on a deal gone sour, and ever since they've had a vendetta against me.
Real Excuse: Didn't know it was the last rapid before Top Drop, and that you are meant to take the left line. Needless to say I took the right line, all over some nice bumpy rocks and capsized from an attempted brace. Ended up lying against a rock with my head out of the water, and my left arm yanked back so I lost grip on my paddle. After a few attempted pushes against said rock, my deck slipped down my waist and popped off my boat, leaving me spreading against a rock until I started to float down stream. I then floated past the rocks and swam into the last eddy before Top Drop
Emotional issues arising from the event: Hyper extended my shoulder, and lost my sling ;-(
Learning Outcomes: Have an awareness of which section of the river you're on and what the lines should be, I didn't know at the time that this was the last rapid before Top Drop, and could have easily ended up swimming it...
Persons requiring rescue pints: Fergal gave me a hand getting out of the water, and thanks to Luke and Rob for unpinning the boat.
Swim bootie: Not yet ;-)
Tiernan :-o

Tiernan Stapleton

Postby Tiernan Stapleton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Name of Swimmer: Tiernan Stapleton
Date: 20/01/2018
Shitty Excuse: Those rocks really hate me
Real Excuse: Couldn't really paddle that well with the banjaxed shoulder, so capsized over a rock after an attempted brace on my left side, water was very shallow and couldn't crunch forward for a roll, one thing led to another and hence this post
Emotional issues arising from the event: Pain.
Learning Outcomes: Made the smart decision of not running rock garden after that little failure, which goes to show that there is nothing wrong with portaging something if it's not going to end well
Persons requiring rescue pints: Nobody, through my pure physical prowess I got all my gear back and onto the bank, along with yours truly.
Swim bootie: I'll get around to it I'm sure.
Tiernan :-o

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:38 am

Name of Swimmer: Carey Georgius
Date:  26/01/18
Shitty Excuse: Misoginistic rocks and auto-boofs
Real Excuse: There was a hidden rock at the end of the big, scary rapid which I ran fucking beautifully and then my safety boater was too far away for a T *cough Fergal cough*. The autoboof off the falls gave me a bit of a fright and I panicked like an idiot.
Emotional issues arising from the event: Utter redemption! After both swims I got right back on and ran it again. Plus my last swim before this was on Ashleagh and it was not fucking good, so v proud I ran it again.
Learning Outcomes: Don't panic! You can fucking roll, you dumbass!
Persons requiring rescue pints:  Ferg and Laoise got my boat, plus massive thanks to them for taking me along even though I was shitting myself.
Swim bootie: Will be completed during the Higgins Olympics
Carey Georgius
Treasurer
treasurer@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

PatrickB1718

Postby PatrickB1718 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

careyisastar wrote:Emotional issues arising from the event: Utter redemption! After both swims I got right back on and ran it again. Plus my last swim before this was on Ashleagh and it was not fucking good, so v proud I ran it again.
Learning Outcomes: Don't panic! You can fucking roll, you dumbass!
Persons requiring rescue pints:  Ferg and Laoise got my boat, plus massive thanks to them for taking me along even though I was shitting myself.

Carey:
Another Learning outcome For you:
Stop being so hard on yourself, There is no reason for you to call yourself a dumbass or an idiot after a swim, The second you start giving out to yourself over a swim is the second your confidence start taking a hit and your paddling goes with it.

The Main thing you should take from the swims is that following it you got straight back in and bossed the rapid second time around despite multiple unpleasant experiences, I've seen people give up kayaking after swimming from a boat in a heated swimming pool, So that fact that you can take this on the chin and have a second go immediately is something you should be proud of, not beating yourself up over. Always maintain a positive mental attitude :).

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Name of Swimmer: Laoise
Date: 9.2.18
Shitty excuse: Hmm.. what to choose... I couldn't reach the footblocks, slalom boats are weird to roll, the edges on the slalom boat are pretty defined compared to a nomad, I can't roll particularly well with paddles anymore...
Real reason: I was really starting to enjoy slalom paddling and got a pre-emptive sense disapproval back in Galway *slalom is gay*. As all of my recent swims have left me questioning whether or not kayaking is really worth it; taking the wet exit seemed like the best way to wash away any notions that slalom is anything other than gay.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I swam on grade 2, enough said. :wasntme:
Persons requiring rescue pints: Henry
Specific Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
>Once you get over the shame, swimming on grade 2 is actually pretty enjoyable. 10/10; would recommend.
>If you can't reach or adjust the footblocks in a boat, get a thick piece of foam and hold it in between your feet - not quite as good as footblocks, but a lot better than nothing.
>Slalom is actually really fun

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:20 pm

I'M BACK!

Name: Ronan Stapleton
Date: 31/March/18
Shitty excuse: I was too warm
Real excuse: I was too far ahead of my teammates in the team race and needed to give them a chance to catch up! So I pinned my boat to give them that chance
Emotional issues arising from the event: My allocated 2018 swim is gone quite early in the year ;-(
Person(s) requiring rescue pint(s): Luke held the line that I eventually got to my boat, Con pulled me back into the eddy when I swam down to him after unpinning Phoebe
Specific Learning Outcomes SLOs: Running and jumping style launches to give yourself a head start in races don't work very well if you're in a boat with a low volume stern. I learned this the hard way...
Swim bootie completed? Yes
Ronan Stapleton
rstaples395@gmail.com
ID: 13348351

Back at it again Safety Officer yeet

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Name of Swimmer: mise
Date: 28/7/18
Shitty excuse: I wanted to see what it would be like to swim somewhere warm for a change
Real excuse: I disregarded the weather warning and decided to try a K1 out anyway. Halfway round the lake the wind picked up and waves started to hit the side of the boat. Just when I thought I was used to it my concentration lapsed; I leaned too much to the left to compensate for the waves hitting that side of the kayak and capsized.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Self-rescued :rofl:
SLO Don't go k-boating in a storm

RobKierans

Postby RobKierans » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Name of Swimmer:Robert Kierans
Date:28/08/2018
Shitty excuse:Was doing enders down the bottom, backlooped every time I tryed to set up on the opposite side to the flow the boat did a half helix, I wanted a little breath of oxygen so I pulled the deck off and next thing you know I'm chilling in the green room behind the drop, did some laps on both sides. All was good tho
Emotional Issues arising from the event:Im getting rid of the cord they put on spraydecks so it doesnt happen again
Persons requiring rescue pints:Kev X'd my boat like a pro!

Henkka32

Postby Henkka32 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Name of Swimmer: Henry
Date: End of August 2018
Shitty excuse: Number 1 and 3 happened on the first river run. Number 2 on the second.
1. Kula Shaker really doesn't like me. First swim on Kula Shaker was due to poor outfitting by me. Had a nice surf on Virgin's wave and then capsized on the wave train downstream. Carped a load and then pulled the deck off. Got some nice downtime in some whirlies. Bonus points for killing my DSLR by not closing my drybag properly.
2. Second swim occured on Kula shaker too. This time capsizing before the video boat rock. Rolled up and tried going right but ended up half boofing left of the rock. Got flipped. Somehow grazed the shoulder of the big munchy hole and rejoined main flow. Did many helixes in the whirlpools and eventually decided it's time to get some much needed O2.
3. Swam on the Nile Special eddy line. I think I learnt my lesson.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: My DSLR is fucked. So that sucks. Nile was still awesome though and I got my redemption laps on Kula Shaker. I may be addicted to funnels...
Persons requiring rescue pints: All my funnels were done plus extra and I did buy the lads beers.

Fergal.Staples1

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Name of Swimmer: Fergal Stapleton
Date: 7/10/2018
Shitty Excuse: One of the Stapleton's needed to swim for it to be a real club trip
Real Excuse: Ran the first stopper/hole a little too the left, lost speed, didn't have the line I wanted off the second drop. Landed, got pulled back into the hole, paddles torn out of my hand despite my best efforts to hold onto them. Popped my deck for a chill float.
Emotional issues arising from the event: Nothing really, was a chill swim.
Learning Outcomes: Need to learn that handroll.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Some locals

Decided to walk out of the river at this point, not due to being shook or anything but the river was rising and getting to be past my comfort level. I think I would have been okay but I'm happy with my decision. Sometimes you just gotta walk.

Jrob

Postby Jrob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Name of Swimmer: James Robertson
Date: 6/10/18
Shitty excuse: I was doing too well and didn't want to get too cocky.
Real Excuse: Textbook beginner move off Jurys. Celebrated a nice boof before I was completely clear and capsized.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Annoyed I ran a relatively small rapid compared to the others and thats the one that got me first.
Learning Outcomes Keep Paddling! Dont try T-rescue off submerged rocks.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Got myself out but Carey n Laoise helped get my head back in the game so thanks guys.

Swim #2
Shitty excuse: If you want something done, do it yourself, dont wait for the T-rescue. ;-)
Real Excuse: Think I was too far right going off and got pushed into the corner. Had one hand on my paddle then let go and tried to stick out for a T.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: For my first big drop I was surprised I didn't panic more, need to stop letting swims affect my focus though.
Learning outcomes: Always try for the roll, become more aware of how my boats moves when im underwater. Learn how to handroll.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Staples tried like a bear to get to me and I appreciate it alot. Some Scotsman in an RPM got my gear.
James Robertson, 16364521
pro@nuigkc.com

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Name of Swimmer: CIARA WALL
Date: 5/10/18
Shitty excuse: Hadn’t washed my hair in 2 days
Real excuse: Didn’t paddle hard enough into the rapid and didn’t take the best line
Emotional Issues arising from the event: My first booty beer
Swim bootie completed?: HELL YEAH :rofl:

SWIM #2

Shitty excuse: One swim on a single trip just isn’t enough and I’d yet to do a drop upside down
Real Excuse: Probably a mixture of nerves, a boat I’d never paddled, not the best line and not paddling hard enough!
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Don’t mind swimming
Persons requiring rescue pints: Staples and Luke! Thanks guys
Swim bootie completed?: Yesss
Ciara Wall
Training Officer