AGM 2018

User avatar
DiarmuidM
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 pm

AGM 2018

Postby DiarmuidM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 pm

This years AGM will be on the Monday 9th April
Time and location 7pm at Fotrell Theatre.


If you're thinking of going for a committee position you should do it! Its good fun and a great way to give back to the club. If you've any questions about committee positions just ask one of the committee members or anyone thats been on committee before. Nominations can be sent to committee@nuigkc.com

Nominations for captain, safety and training officer must be submitted before hand, they cannot be accepted on the night.
Those going for captain, safety and training must give a short speech on the night.

If you want to go for a committee position you must nominate yourself. This makes sure that only those interested get elected!

Agenda:


-Officer Reports
-Motions Received
-Elections: Committee 2018/2019
-Any Other Business

If there are any motions you'd like discussed at the AGM please email committee@nuigkc.com

Motions received:

1. Position of Polo Officer to be removed (Ronan Stapleton)
Amended to Polo captain selected by polo team, not a committee position PASSED

2. In every semester it is required that at least one member of the committee is female. This is to ensure that any women in the club feel comfortable coming forward to a committee member with difficult issues. If no female committee member is elected in the AGM/EGM, a non-committee member can be self-nominated and elected as a female representative of the club. This person is not required to attend committee meetings (unless an issue is brought to their attention that needs to be address), but they must attend Wednesday Night Talks and be an accessible and approachable person within the club. (Carey)
PASSED

3. In order to manage all the social media pages that the Club has, a new position, Social Media Officer (which is currently lumped in with PRO) needs to be established. This person's role would be to collect pictures and videos of club events and post them in social media. They can either be responsible for taking the photos/videos themselves or simply ask club members to submit their own content. This position would required an @nuigkc email address. New content should be posted at least once a week. This position is secondary and as such this person would not be required to attend committee meetings. (Carey) FAILED

4. Apply to the security office to get a key lock box that can be opened using student ID cards to allow keys to be left out and make it easier for people to go paddling. The rowing club already use this system. (Eoin) NOT A MOTION (next year's committee to look into this)

5. Committee members need to be active paddlers within the club and participate in paddling events. This ensures that the club is focused on paddling and committee decisions are based around active paddlers within the club and paddling community. (Eoin) PASSED

6. The club is a kayak club and club events should be paddling events. Any other "social" events should be run outside of the club as non club events. (Eoin) NOT A MOTION

7. Everyone going to intervarsities needs to compete in long distance and attend a minimum of 2 long distance sessions, otherwise no club subsidy. (Rob) PASSED

8. Motion: To be subsidised for a club trip you must participate (not just turn up and splash around) in a minimum number of (training) sessions, e.g. 3 varsities training sessions, 5 before Donegal, other trips to be decided at the committee's discretion.
This would mean the club's funding would be received by active paddlers and more training would improve our performance at varsities. (Laoise) WITHDRAWN

9. Shed clean ups are mandatory to attend to get club subsidies! Must attend one per semester PASSED

10. To allow club boats on grade 4 (Rob) WITHDRAWN

11. Minimum of two applicants in each tender application for CC
Amend: "Applications to run Corrib Canoe can be submitted by one or more persons" (Aoife) PASSED

12. Corrib Canoe can only be run by the same party for two consecutive years
Remove the ruling (Aoife) PASSED

13. CC Tender to be put out in March.
Amend: "Tender to be put out in January" (Aoife) PASSED

14. "The rent on a CC party's proposal should be no more or less than that asked by the tender to prevent a situation where safety and qualifications come 2nd to money". (Aoife) PASSED

15. The decision on who gets Corrib Canoe to be changed from Captain or Safety's decision to a committee vote with the process continuing to be run as normal with the addition of the interviews being recorded for the rest of the committee to listen back to so they can make an informed decision. (Ger) FAILED

16. When keys in circulation are handed to Corrib Canoe, they are to be handed to the Captain first, then all keys in circulation have to be signed for by Corrib Canoe, to be returned when the season is over. (Diarmuid) PASSED

17. Sell 2 boats that arnt mambas to club members (for 5 euro each) to use on grade 4 , these boats would no longer be club boats but would be kept in the shed and would be available to anyone to use. (Rob) WITHDRAWN

18. Both Corrib Canoe interviews to take place on the same day. (Diarmuid) PASSED

19. Motion: In cases where captain or safety is applying for Corrib Canoe, another committee member considers the CC tender in their place. Said committee member would be voted in by the committee, based on experience and involvement in the club. Sorry I know that makes very little sense in writing, but it makes sense in my head and I can't figure out how to phrase it concisely (Laoise) WITHDRAWN

Nominations received:

Captain: Carey
Safety: Lucien
Training: Lucien, Fergal
Treasurer: Podge
Equipments: Henry
P.R.O.: JRob
Secretary: Ciana
FYR: Cathal Corbett
GMIT Captain: Rob
Last edited by DiarmuidM on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Diarmuid Magorrian
0838776093

User avatar
Staples
First Year Rep.
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Rivers, not lectures

Re: AGM 2018

Postby Staples » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am

Motion: Remove the polo officer position.

User avatar
DiarmuidM
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby DiarmuidM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Update on time and location above!
Diarmuid Magorrian
0838776093

Henkka32
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

Re: AGM 2018

Postby Henkka32 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm going for position of equipments officer

User avatar
DiarmuidM
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby DiarmuidM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 pm

I'll be handing out the sports ball tickets at this so make sure to come along.
Diarmuid Magorrian
0838776093

RobKierans
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby RobKierans » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:58 am

GMIT Captian plz

laoiseplunkett
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby laoiseplunkett » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Motion: To be subsidised for a club trip you must participate (not just turn up and splash around) in a minimum number of (training) sessions, e.g. 3 varsities training sessions, 5 before Donegal, other trips to be decided at the committee's discretion.
This would mean the club's funding would be received by active paddlers and more training would improve our performance at varsities.

Motion: In cases where captain or safety is applying for Corrib Canoe, another committee member considers the CC tender in their place. Said committee member would be voted in by the committee, based on experience and involvement in the club. Sorry I know that makes very little sense in writing, but it makes sense in my head and I can't figure out how to phrase it concisely

Another thing that isn't really a motion, but I feel like we need to discuss it as a club - when will we host varsities next?

Cathal_Corbett
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby Cathal_Corbett » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Throw me down for first year rep sure

RobKierans
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby RobKierans » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Motion: Everyone going to intervarsities needs to compete in long distance and attend a minimum of 2 long distance sessions.

Motion: shed clean ups are mandatory to attend to get club subsidies! Must attend one per semester

Motion: To allow club boats on grade 4 (sorry had to put this up I'll never not fight for this)

Eoin Moorhouse
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:57 am

Re: AGM 2018

Postby Eoin Moorhouse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:56 pm

AGM motions:
Apply to the security office to get a key lock box that can be opened using student ID cards to allow keys to be left out and make it easier for people to go paddling. The rowing club already use this system.

Committee members need to be active paddlers within the club and participate in paddling events. This ensures that the club is focused on paddling and committee decisions are based around active paddlers within the club and paddling community.

The club is a kayak club and club events should be paddling events. Any other "social" events should be run outside of the club as non club events.
Eoin Moorhouse
0860339599

Fergal.Staples1
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 pm

RobKierans wrote:
Motion: To allow club boats on grade 4 (sorry had to put this up I'll never not fight for this)


Second this, but it should be one or two boats set aside specifically for paddlers looking to progress within the club to grade 4, and as such should not be given out on beginner sessions, as boats unfortunately get damaged at a much faster rate. Does not have to be exclusively out of use for beginners but should be primarily set aside for those looking to progress who do not have their own boat.

User avatar
DiarmuidM
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby DiarmuidM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:58 am

Fergal.Staples1 wrote:
RobKierans wrote:
Motion: To allow club boats on grade 4 (sorry had to put this up I'll never not fight for this)


Second this, but it should be one or two boats set aside specifically for paddlers looking to progress within the club to grade 4, and as such should not be given out on beginner sessions, as boats unfortunately get damaged at a much faster rate. Does not have to be exclusively out of use for beginners but should be primarily set aside for those looking to progress who do not have their own boat.


Kathy said no to this last year, she'll say no this year. I've kept this in just so I can tell everyone at the AGM.
Diarmuid Magorrian
0838776093

User avatar
14351306
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby 14351306 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 am

Motion:

That the Corrib Canoe rules should be amended:

3 Corrib Canoe
3.1 Minimum of two applicants in each tender application
Amend: "Applications to run Corrib Canoe can be submitted by one or more persons"
One party can also apply, do not think the company needs two people for it to be run, should give people the opportunity to run the company themselves!

3.4 Corrib Canoe can only be run by the same party for two consecutive years
Remove the ruling
People should have the opportunity to run it throughout their 4+ years, if they have the qualifications over others they should be allowed run for longer to keep the company and its known high standard and then allow the club to use the company to train up other instructors who can then apply. Corrib Canoe is known for its high level of instruction that level is what should be looked at each year and its what parents expect coming back year after year, it should not be about how many years people have run corrib canoe, if it cannot be taken over at the same level and standard of instructions then it should be kept with the same party until others are trained up to that level!

3.6 Tender to be put out in March.
Amend: "Tender to be put out in January"
This should be put out in January, bad form when GKC already are promoting their summer camps and sending out emails and the club has not even set out the tender, it is already putting the company at a disadvantage going into the summer season.

3.7 Minimum rent set at €2000.
Add to this: "The rent on a party's proposal should be no more or less than that asked by the tender to prevent a situation where safety and qualifications come 2nd to money".

Also attached are the club rules if you feel like you would like to change anything or bring anything up:
Attachments
NUI Galway Club Rules.pdf
(399.02 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Aoife Hanrahan

0862173267

RobKierans
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby RobKierans » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 am

Motion : To sell 2 boats that arnt mambas to club members (for 5 euro each) to use on grade 4 , these boats would no longer be club boats but would be kept in the shed and would be available to anyone to use.

User avatar
careyisastar
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: AGM 2018

Postby careyisastar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:43 am

If anyone wants to have a look, here is my captain's presentation from yesterday's AGM.
Attachments
AGM Captain Presentation.pptx
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
Carey Georgius
Treasurer
treasurer@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424