Working with people who have a disability

AndrewR
Traitor

Working with people who have a disability

Postby AndrewR » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:26 pm

When it comes to taking people with disabilities out kayaking there have been a couple of instances where I have found instructors to be apprehensive.

I have been studying adapted physical education for the past month and working with people with a disability is awesome and will make you a better coach as it helps to adjust and adapt every lesson for all abilities not just a person with a disability.

I also just noticed that UL have this on their message board:

"Every now and again we get members with disabilities (physical or mental) joining the club.
Some people can be a bit nervous / apprehensive when it comes to getting them on the water.

This in mind I've been in contact with Ciarán Murphy who's a national trainer of the ISA and runs training courses for working with different disabilities. The course takes about three hours and it's extremely interactive from what I gather.

It will be running at 7.30 on the 13th of October and it'll be limited to 15 places. First come first served.
It finishes with a practical session on the pool!"

It costs very little, they mentioned around 10e each. I recommend you guys contact Ciaran Murphy and do this as well, very important for your continuing development in coaching kayaking.