Meeting to do with Universal Gym Membership

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Meeting to do with Universal Gym Membership

Postby higgins2510 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi guys

We have come to a decision regarding the gym referendum.

We want the gym referendum to go ahead on its own. This will involve extension of the sports halls, extension of the gym, relocating the climbing wall, added equipment storage and universal gym membership.

We want to separate the building of the water sports building from the universal gym membership and have that as a stand alone project. We propose that the university seek the capital themselves to build this facility.

Meeting Monday where they welcome feedback and suggestions and whatnot. Anyone have opinions on this?

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Re: Meeting to do with Universal Gym Membership

Postby Aran K » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Any indication on how much they plan on charging for the universal membership?
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 pm

In all seriousness, they're never going to please everybody.
If they go ahead with the extension, the cost will come down to the students - whether it's in September or a few years time. The only thing we can lobby for is that students get a better deal than this time around.
Clubs should be promised, in writing (and multiple copies of it!), ten times more slots. We've already shouldered the cost of one facility. They can easily justify a new building by saying it'll create more slots for clubs. Clubs need to be guaranteed the slots. I can't see that benefiting us, but for other clubs it could mean a great deal.

arank wrote:Any indication on how much they plan on charging for the universal membership?

I don't know where the thread has gone, but it was supposed to be a "token" amount, and if I remember it wasn't supposed to be implemented until the current levy is over? This is not going to benefit the general student body. At all. There are 12,500 undergrads registered in the university.
(I've nothing to base 2,000 memberhsips off other than a guess)

Code: Select all

2,000 * €250 = €500,000
€500,000 / 12,500 = €40

If they tack a €40 charge on everyone's already rising fees they'll break even in memberships. But they'll also need more staff, and see an increasing maintenance cost. That €40 is being tacked onto the thousands of people who don't use the gym.
If those people do now realise that they're paying for a gym, they may start using it. Extension or no, this poses a serious problem, as adding another 30 machines won't soak up all the additional demand of loads of people using the free gym once a fortnight. On top of that, Kingfisher have already proven themselves incapable of the upkeep of what's there right now. The pool and changing area tiles are broken and/or missing, there are lockers with broken locks/no keys. Machines are in disrepair, and weights are unlabelled, missing and generally strewn about the place. Not to mention the staff can be downright rude at times. I've been told by a girl at the counter that I wasn't allowed down to the club locker before because I wasn't a member (thankfully on that occasion someone else set her straight).

Also, where is the "extension" going to go?
The Kingfisher is surrounded by roads, buildings and Topaz - none of which are easy to get rid of. That's more of a curiosity of mine than a problem though, the buildings between the sports hall and distillery road could stand to be knocked. Either that or they need a new site. I can't see them getting rid of the car park. If they do there'll be uproar, as more students (and staff) are expected to continue paying extortionate amounts of money for a park and ride.

We want to separate the building of the water sports building from the universal gym membership and have that as a stand alone project. We propose that the university seek the capital themselves to build this facility.

Again, where is the money going to come from? I can't imagine the university has a large reserve of money for new buildings lying around, with the Arts Millenium building in need of repair, the new library, AMB extension and biotech buildings unfinished (not to mention that big empty library they need to fill with books). Maybe they played the euromillions and didn't tell us.
Obviously this is the bigger issue to us, the problem is that it's very hard for us to find a foot to stand on. If the college wants to go ahead and build a better facility, they just need to point out that the current building is a relic. If they find someone to look at it and recommend a new building for Health/Safety reasons we're as good as that squirt boat that went to varsities. Surely a new, well sealed/insulated, dry building is a much better option!
Can we convince the rowing club to side with us? There is strength in numbers after all. Rowing from Daingean to the college bar and back will make no odds to them vs. the other way around. Locating the club farther away could make it less accessible, I don't know if that is enough of an argument though. We lose the Lower though, which is probably the single biggest asset any college kayak club in the country has. It allows for us to bring a huge amount of fresh paddlers on moving water regularly, at no cost. Will the relocation of the club come with more funding for us to get a bus 2/3 times a week for lower/intermediate sessions? Even if there's only 5 beginners and 3 instructors on the session?

Without harping on and doing nothing, I think we should make a video outlining why the shed is such a big deal to us. I'm not in until 4 on Tuesday, and have 2 cameras to work with (a GoPro and a stills camera which shoots HD too). It wouldn't take long to make a video with a few older heads, and a few beginners. Possibly just tie it into the session, or earlier if it suits more people better - I think it's a quiet enough session most of the time anyway. Shoot it showing people getting to the shed easily, being able to get on both the canal and the shit chute instantly and then emerging onto the Lower (from a headcam and the opposite bank by Born).
Would anyone be around to help out?

Alan O'D

Postby Alan O'D » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 pm

When I was going to the meetings for this, the problem was that we had to agree to universal gym membership before the increase in fees would be set, and we would have no option to veto. The reason was that the college didnt want to spend money on architects & contractors coming in to do up plans and give a quote, only for the students to then decide they didnt want the increase in fees, and that money already spent all having gone to waste. The stalemate was that several of us weren't happy that no ceiling would be put on the fees increase (to quote the clubs captain "I don't know, it could be like €50, maybe more). Do you know if this craic of deciding on the fees increase after all options of backing out are gone is still the case dave?

In regards to the watersports building, it was said at the time that "The college already have set aside the funding for that, but we'll use money from this towards it and make it happen faster". Maybe since then they've changed their minds and used the money for something else, but at the time it was said that it was at their disposal. It was guaranteed though that the site was fisheries, all threat of moving to dangan was gone, and they gathered specifications for the architect to work with based around fisheries.
^>^>^>^>^>^>^>

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:16 am

Dave i totaly agree with you and from talking to the rowers they dont want to move either as the same thing is that where theyare is safe and very beginner friendly and great for holding events ,
Also as far as i know the funding for the water sports building has already been approved and is sitting in an account, also if you havent realised the current development on campus the road beside the king fisher is now open to the main road and the road by Aib is soon going to be closed i reckon all the buildings in that area are where they plan to build the gym expansion and possibly have under ground parking etc to slove the parking issue. i will be going to the meeting on behalf of the mtb club but will voice my opinion about the water sports center. I was talking to someone in the sports unit and they were saying the water sports building should be built in the next two years in fisherieys feild if all goes to plan aparently planning will start in May.
I Propose a water sports committie is formed between all the clubs and possibly have one or two members from each club nominated to be on it.
If all the clubs work together the college will find it very hard to argue the case against the location
085-seven2four0seven3two

AshCorrigan

Postby AshCorrigan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 am

ultanobyrne wrote:,

:-o

ultanobyrne wrote:.

:clap:
aislingcorrigan007@gmail.com

And then, I ran away.....

Kev
O.F.B.

Postby Kev » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:03 am

ultanobyrne wrote:Also as far as i know the funding for the water sports building has already been approved and is sitting in an account, .......
I was talking to someone in the sports unit and they were saying the water sports building should be built in the next two years in fisherieys feild if all goes to plan aparently planning will start in May.

Whatever about the universal gymn membership the watersports centre project is crucial for the club and the current project is something the club has been involved in sporadically since 2006. The university has a pretty good record of having planning meetings etc over the summer when students aren't around/focused.

Even IF the current university plan is to site it in fisheries the club needs to be involved and proactive
- Dangan could reappear on the agenda
- Adequate storage space
- staffing levels, in the past there was talk about needing permanent staff etc for the building which would potentially need to be paid from club membership fees
- temporary accommodation during the build

The new building is going to happen at some stage and if the kayak club can get the right deal it'll be fantastic for the club.

If the watersports project is happening/starts to happen I'd be delighted to give whatever group from the club is dealing with it a hand
"Women - they're different from us"

Morlet

Postby Morlet » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Ray Charles wrote:The Kingfisher is surrounded by roads, buildings and Topaz - none of which are easy to get rid of. That's more of a curiosity of mine than a problem though, the buildings between the sports hall and distillery road could stand to be knocked. Either that or they need a new site. I can't see them getting rid of the car park. If they do there'll be uproar, as more students (and staff) are expected to continue paying extortionate amounts of money for a park and ride.

That car park is being removed to realign the road when they build a new underpass under the quicentenial. A new carpark is being built where the galvanise shed is beside the canal as well as some other spaces infront of the gym. the whole area is being relandscaped. planning permission has already being sought and maybe its been granted by now.

the old distillary road entrance is not being closed as there are private houses that use this road. Removable bollards will be put infront security office.

As for dangan didn't the club get a latter issued to the college from the ICU saying that Dangan would be an unsuitable location for beginners due to the strong flow that happens from time to time (i remember large waves up there one particularly windy day). I could have sworn i seen this letter once.
Mark Morley
087 9305799
treasurer@nuigkc.com

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Cheers for all the viewpoints and opinions, particularly those who have dealt with these matters before. i'm pretty in the dark on the situation (I read the previous forum posts, but it still makes my head spin a little).

Any more welcome, I'll keep people informed of what happens at the meeting tomorrow

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 am

As regards the watersports development, please take the time to discuss this with Kev or someone else who's been involved in the process over the last few years. Is there still a sub-committee active on this?
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!