Chip Van (Festival-esque) contact details

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Chip Van (Festival-esque) contact details

Postby higgins2510 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Does anyone remember Donegal three years ago there was a chip van on the side of the river, which I think people were very grateful for? Were looking at contacting someone similar to let them know we intend on having a lot of hungry students on the side of that river Saturday week.

Does anyone know of anyone who could be contacted in regards to this? The dude who was at varsities last year (giving out a whole bunch of unusual tasty snacks) has been suggested as an alternative to a standard chip van, what do people make of this?

Brady

Re: Chip Van (Festival-esque) contact details

Postby Brady » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:44 pm

You'd want to ask people around Sligo or Donegal for anybody they know as opposed to somebody local, just so it'd be worth their whiles. The van there three years ago was called "motherfruckers" if you can somehow find him.

Jamie Mc

Postby Jamie Mc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 pm

If you are going to go down this route it would be an idea to have lots of hand sanitizers available at the changing area.

First years wont be that aware of the possible hygiene issues of eating (particularly hands on food like burgers and chips) after paddling. I'm not trying to worry people, but if the club asks a food vendor to attend it would be only right to provide members with a form of hand sanitation.
087-757 TWO 779
jamiemc89ATgmail.com

Stay frosty gents.

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Good call

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Ten second rule, it'll be grand!

^>^>^>^>^>^>

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 am

you could do it alot cheaper if you get the stove and two big pots cook a stew of something the night before eg coddle(dublin stew)
sasages bacon potatos etc all in the one pot and serve it out that way in regards had cleaners two or three 5 liter bottles of water and a bit of fairy liquid think of all the wapers from the paper if you even have all the coddal ready when they get back of have it at the side of the road as it will be cheap and chearfull aws regards liability if you dont charge and you do you best to prevent food poisoning your fine i have no problem sorting this out the night before so it can be heated up and brought on the buss down to the river
keep it nice and simple here the recipe http://britishfood.about.com/od/adrecip ... Recipe.htm
really simple and if we are buying potatoes buy the pre pelled ones they do them in joyces
085-seven2four0seven3two

Alan O'D

Postby Alan O'D » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:22 am

Mark McNally wrote:Ten second rule, it'll be grand!

Thats what I thought 2 Donegals ago
Attachments
259va86.jpg
259va86.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
^>^>^>^>^>^>^>

Jamie Mc

Postby Jamie Mc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 am

I've this image of Oliver Twist in kayaking gear now.

Ultan does have a point about the price and i tend to agree with him on steering away from the chip van, but im not sure coddle is the answer for a few reasons:

1.It looks like whats on the floor of the houses after the party.
2.You have forgotten about the need for bowls and forks/spoons and then the discarding of these all over the area, if you're reusing them i cant see how you'll be able to wash them.
3.Most years there tends to be a fuckin hurricane/downpour when we are at the river, trying to keep it out of the weather at a very exposed roadside would be tough.

What about sandwiches. Friday morning five people in Galway are tasked with making 90 or so sandwiches, nothing fancy just ham and cheese and a few salad ones. throw them in sandwiches bags and stick them in a fridge when you reach Donegal.

It would work out relatively cheap, between five people its no effort at all, think of any funeral you've been to, the local women in particular rallying together in a fordist sandwich-making production line.
I'd be a bit wary of asking a chip van guy to be there especially for us, in-case people see 5 euro a burger and think better of it. Could end up in unnecessary conflict between chip man and committee. If you went with sandwiches and no one wanted them, who cares, little financial loss and at least we gave them the option.

Fair play to the committee for trying to address this part of the weekend.
087-757 TWO 779
jamiemc89ATgmail.com

Stay frosty gents.

CathalFolan

Postby CathalFolan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 am

Buy tons of cheap breakfast cereal in aldi or lidl or musgraves and get people to bring their own milk and we can have breakfast before going to the river. I assume the houses we are renting have bowls and spoons?

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am

We plan on having cereal for breakfast... this is more for on-the-river snacks. In the past, people tend to get quite cold standing around in the cold rain for the day.. The main thing that makes me think the chip-van is a good idea is the reaction it got 2 years ago: I remember people being delighted it was there and wondering what we would have done without it... We were also considering bringing a BBQ and having someone cook on the side of the river. Our budgetary situation for the trip is yet uncertain though so were wary of extra costs at the minute, and are trying to cut back on spending.

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:53 pm

Jamie Mc wrote:I've this image of Oliver Twist in kayaking gear now.

Ultan does have a point about the price and i tend to agree with him on steering away from the chip van, but im not sure coddle is the answer for a few reasons:

1.It looks like whats on the floor of the houses after the party.
2.You have forgotten about the need for bowls and forks/spoons and then the discarding of these all over the area, if you're reusing them i cant see how you'll be able to wash them.
3.Most years there tends to be a fuckin hurricane/downpour when we are at the river, trying to keep it out of the weather at a very exposed roadside would be tough.

What about sandwiches. Friday morning five people in Galway are tasked with making 90 or so sandwiches, nothing fancy just ham and cheese and a few salad ones. throw them in sandwiches bags and stick them in a fridge when you reach Donegal.

It would work out relatively cheap, between five people its no effort at all, think of any funeral you've been to, the local women in particular rallying together in a fordist sandwich-making production line.
I'd be a bit wary of asking a chip van guy to be there especially for us, in-case people see 5 euro a burger and think better of it. Could end up in unnecessary conflict between chip man and committee. If you went with sandwiches and no one wanted them, who cares, little financial loss and at least we gave them the option.

Fair play to the committee for trying to address this part of the weekend.

the sandwiches is a good idea provideing there not greated cheese it makes a mess and will go stail over night
the coddal would work and all you have to do is get paper bowls and then bring a bin bag it would be really simple you want to have something warm into you from experience stew or something simmilar it the answer it gets your core warm and you can buy the spoons and stuff could always take some of the cups from the shead and fill them with the coddal doesent need to be alot just a small amount or else soup and then theres no need for spoons
085-seven2four0seven3two

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 am

Speak to the people in the shop just down the road from the river (if it's still open). They offered to provide hot food one year.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 pm

IF people have to pay for it at the side of the road im against it try and keep it simple possible even a big pot of vegtable soup homemade and not packet
085-seven2four0seven3two

Brady

Postby Brady » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 pm

How is making soup or any food keeping it simple? It's way simpler to just get a van to show up.

Save the committee going and getting food, preparing it and figuring out a way of dishing it out. Save all the time, effort and money involved in that, instead of complicating something simple. It's already a really expensive trip for the club.

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:27 pm

How much is the chip van going to cost and will people need to pay for food themselves
vs a pot of soup and 60 odd cups doesent need to be committie who organise it im willing to sort it out we have pots and also stoves
make it the night before and heat it up on the day .
Do people have extra money to pay for the chip van cause its expensive already
085-seven2four0seven3two