Whistle Signals:

Seaanie
O.F.B.

Re: Whistle Signals:

Postby Seaanie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm

There's a nice variation in opinion there. But I couldn't call it for either the yes or no, the conversation went all over the place. A lot of people failed to make distinction between normal signals and emergency/danger signals.

I'm personally in the Simon Westgarth camp, which is a good camp to be in with regards things relating to whitewater. :D

Anyway, each to their own. I've a feeling that even if you agree to use whistles for communication, the system won't last that long. Communication usually converges towards the easiest method, and in this case I don't see it as being the easiest or clearest method.

Higgins have you removed your neck brace yet?

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:47 am

Ammm wha?

Conor McC

Postby Conor McC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 am

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am

Because this didn't go on nearly long enough ( :tmi: ), I wanna throw something else into the mix.
I got a bit of coaching one evening from Billy Harris. A few of the things he was trying to fix for me were timings of things like my first bounce setting up a move, or how far left/right I needed to be to drop back onto the foam pile. Guess what he used?

It just came back into my mind reading discussions going on about the place about teaching breaking in to flow, that one of the big problems a lot of people have at first is trying to turn too early. A short sharp whistle blast could definitely help with it - tell them not to turn until they hear it. If everyone around you knows that a short *peep* is going to be used and doesn't freak out it could be a useful tool for beginner river trips.