Anyone need first aid supplies?

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Anyone need first aid supplies?

Postby higgins2510 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 am

I'm gonna order some stuff for the club and for myself off this website. It's all cheap enough, and delivery should be free. Hopefully enough people will want something that we can get it in bulk and get it cheaper again.

http://www.medguard.ie/

So if anyone is looking for anything, let me know before this Friday.

(Post a list of what your looking for below).

CathalFolan

Re: Anyone need first aid supplies?

Postby CathalFolan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Sam splints.

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:06 pm

^>^>^>^>^>^>

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:55 am

CathalFolan wrote:Sam splints.

Do you want more than one?

Mark McNally wrote:Shears, Tape, Vent aid

Sound, I'll hopefully be ordering it Saturday morning, I'll let ya know when it'll be expected in.

mcosgrave

Postby mcosgrave » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 pm

I'll probably bring this up again when the semester starts and more people are around but while were on the topic of first aid, I just want to ask for people who have done RECs/similar courses.

How much do you actually remember and feel like you can apply efficiently, confidently to a situation? For me some things have certainly slipped my mind.

So was wondering if anyone would be up for an evening open to people who have done a rec/similar courses just to discuss some of the ways we have used what we learnt and what we found important. So we can share our experience and help keep the course material fresh in our head.

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:25 pm

i've been tring to get something like this up and running ,personaly id like to see all members invited and not just people who have done rec or equillavent courses and try and get up to speed on things
085-seven2four0seven3two

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 am

First aid training by people who can't remember their first aid training? That should be good.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

mcosgrave

Postby mcosgrave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am

yeah the teaching of first aid is something I want to avoid completely. I'm looking more for an open forum for discussion so people with first aid training can keep it fresh in there heads and hopefully think for themselves.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 am

I think UL had a "scenarios day" one year. People who had completed first aid training were given relevant scenarios to deal with and feedback on how they dealt with these as a refresher. It was supervised by an actual first aid person or canoe instructor panel member. Can't remember who exactly but someone who knew what they were doing anyway. There was a cost involved but I think it was very low.
"Club is 20 years old, you might have a celebration!!"
"Club is 21 years old, why not have a party"

Coming soon to a river near you...

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 pm

annie wrote:I think UL had a "scenarios day" one year. People who had completed first aid training were given relevant scenarios to deal with and feedback on how they dealt with these as a refresher. It was supervised by an actual first aid person or canoe instructor panel member. Can't remember who exactly but someone who knew what they were doing anyway. There was a cost involved but I think it was very low.

cool well the guy who did our rec said he would come down and do a whole day of sanareos for free but id like to see every one doing the day chip in and give him something to say thanks or who ever is doing it only a 5er or even less
085-seven2four0seven3two

mcosgrave

Postby mcosgrave » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 pm

That's the sort of direction I would be looking to head.

But what worries me is that you can do these course's and the occasional refresher and you'll be alright at first aid, but unless you keep these things fresh or get lots experience you'll never be that good. That's why I'm leaning towards having casual sort of practice sessions if you get what I mean.