Kayaking/Outdoors retail outlets

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Kayaking/Outdoors retail outlets

Postby higgins2510 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey guys,

Were looking into getting discounts from shops that would be suitable for kayaking for the club, similar to with Riverdeep Mountain High. Can anyone post up here on any shops/outlets they think would be useful for us to have a discount with! Off the top of my head places like;

Great Outdoors
I-Canoe
Desperate Measures

Can anyone think of any others?

dylan

Re: Kayaking/Outdoors retail outlets

Postby dylan » Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 am

Portwest?
Dylan Byrne
086 1761248

DeeRooney

Postby DeeRooney » Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 pm

http://www.mchalecaravans.ie/?....... ie the guy that sponsered the varsities this year

Caitlin

Postby Caitlin » Fri May 18, 2012 9:30 pm

I work in Great Outdoors so give me a shout if you wanna try a deal with them!

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 pm

GOD used to give 10%. Did they stop?
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

Grassey
O.F.B.

Postby Grassey » Sat May 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Peak UK used to give decent discounts for club orders too.
Image Image

KatieF

Postby KatieF » Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 pm

rlynch wrote:GOD used to give 10%. Did they stop?

No I don't believe they've stopped. Just working on a card that streamlines the discounts and gives cardholders access to a variety of shops that kayakers would be interested in getting discounts in. Any other suggestions for shops.restaurants etc. just e-mail me, secretary@nuigkc.com
Katie Finnegan
secretary@nuigkc.com

Jamie Mc

Postby Jamie Mc » Sat May 19, 2012 6:57 pm

RDMH
GOD (The Dublin one) are pretty decent to deal with.
ICanoe

UK,
Canoe & Kayak store. http://www.canoeandkayakstore.co.uk/
Desperate Measures.
087-757 TWO 779
jamiemc89ATgmail.com

Stay frosty gents.

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Mon May 21, 2012 5:33 am

Will the card be for just members of NUIGKC?
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

KatieF

Postby KatieF » Mon May 21, 2012 5:25 pm

That would be the idea. As there's nothing like it in the college I'd hope that it would increase the member sign up on clubs day. More members = (hopefully) more activity/more funding.

There may be a small fee to cover the cost of the card (€2 or something) but it's still in the very early stages so that's to be discussed.

Obviously, we'd be offering them to past NUIG KC members too. The more potential customers we can give a business, the more likely they'll be to give better discounts etc.

I'll keep ye posted on my progress. Really just at the stage of contacting places and seeing if they'd be on board and hopefully have them ready in time to roll out for Clubs Day in September...
Katie Finnegan
secretary@nuigkc.com

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 am

Given that, consider that discounts are generally given by retailers on the basis of increased volume of sales. What will be their incentive to give a discount if they know that there is a small base of people to avail of it, and, more pertinently, that they are just one of many retailers to choose from? Just a thought...

KatieF

Postby KatieF » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 pm

rlynch wrote:Given that, consider that discounts are generally given by retailers on the basis of increased volume of sales. What will be their incentive to give a discount if they know that there is a small base of people to avail of it, and, more pertinently, that they are just one of many retailers to choose from? Just a thought...

Well the NUIG Kayak Club in itself signs up more than 700 members each semester. I know that not all of those are active members, but they are all potential customers.

Plus, if we are the first club to do it and are offering discounts in outdoor shops then surely other outdoor based clubs will see the benefit to joining out club.

The societies have this fine tuned and following meetings with some of the societies involved with these cards, I really think there is a niche for the 'clubs' side of things. There is nothing like it. That makes it new, different, attractive... I hope.

I don't see many retailers turning down the possibility of 1000+ customers. (NUIG KC registered members + members from other clubs + OFBs)

I'm aware that my presence in the club has only started recently, but I have been around for the last 3 years and I really only do want the best for the club. For that reason, I completely welcoming criticisms/opinions on the matter.

The more criticisms the better! Means we can make this even better than I imagine it can be :)
Katie Finnegan
secretary@nuigkc.com