FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Brady

Re: FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Postby Brady » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I have a Helix. It looks very good. It doesn't have a neck seal, but I'm sure if you got one that did, it'd be class.

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Brady wrote:It looks very good.

It's all about the priorities with you, Brady.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

Morlet

Postby Morlet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Mark McNally wrote:Does anyone have any experience with either the Kokata Helix or NRS Flux cags?

I've had kokatat for 2 and half years and despite numerous swims, not treating it very well and stupidly ripping my neck seal and then replacing it, it still keeps me perfectly dry. it perfect considering i only paid €120 for it during an i-canoe sale.
Mark Morley
087 9305799
treasurer@nuigkc.com

dylan

Postby dylan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:43 pm

so my cousin is upgrading his kayak so he's going to give me his medium burn but it has a crack in it
so.....
[1] Whats the medium burn like as a boat?
[2] Will someone help/show me how to fix the crack? and can i use stuff from the graveyard or do i have get my own repair kit setup as its not club gear?!
Dylan Byrne
086 1761248

Barry L

Postby Barry L » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:02 am

Ill weld it up for when I'm back if you like. There good boats , go for it

http://barryloughnane.blogspot.com/

gmail:b.loughnane1@gmail.com

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:02 am

I didn't take to it myself when I tried it a few times, but most people love Burns.

In regards to fixing the crack, if you need more plastic, you can take it from the footblock or the inside of the cockpit rim if you need any additional plastic to weld the crack back together (dunno how big the crack is?). Also there is a special kind of tape that everyone seems to think is the shit these days for repairing boats, can't remember the fancy name but it's known as plumber tape. There is a heatgun somewhere in the shed I believe that you can use (pending the equipment officers approval) to repair the boat if you need it - it should handle any welding you need to do..

iano90

Postby iano90 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:49 pm

higgins2510 wrote:Also there is a special kind of tape that everyone seems to think is the shit these days for repairing boats, can't remember the fancy name but it's known as plumber tape.

The stuffs called bitumen tape... I used it on my boat, which was an elite all-star and couldnt be plastic welded, id recomendet to fix any boat tho really, my boats survived 4 or 5 sessions on gower since i put it on and it doesnt look like it'll give way any time soon! and thats saying something (it was FUCKED, i think the final count was 8 cracks, ranging in sizes of about 2 to 6 inches)... just make sure you drill holes at the end of each crack before you go about sealing it or else the cracks will spread..

Edit: oh yeah.. from a quick glance i couldnt find any online there but im sure its somewhere.. i managed to get lucky and pick it up in Lidl for like 8e.. so keep an eye out there
Self praise is no praise... but it'll do me!

dylan

Postby dylan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:02 pm

cheers for all the advice, will deffiently need a hand though so ill take the offer barry!, will be handy to know how to fix boats!
should be getting the boat september or october, guess its time to start looking at paddles!.....any good sites for second hand paddles!
Dylan Byrne
086 1761248

dylan

Postby dylan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

so since ive a boat on the way ive been looking at paddles and thinking of getting the Werner Desparado's.....just wondering is anyone else thinking [1st year paddlers!] of getting paddles off werner to do a group order?!
Dylan Byrne
086 1761248

KatieF

Postby KatieF » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Between holiday pay and my Nana being ridiculously overgenerous, I've found myself in the market for paddles....

I've been using Alan's Double Diamonds and am inclined to go down that route, any opinions?

I'd like 10/15 degree crank shaft - and I don't like the players or h2o....
Katie Finnegan
secretary@nuigkc.com

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:46 pm

They're s more than players out there. It depends what you are into like freestyle or whitewater
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 am

It depends not only on what you want them for (though this is also important) but also which paddles you like to use. Best bet is to try loads of different types out and see what you like best.. hard to try stuff that arn't werner these days though cause everyone has em, they seem to have monopolised the club. Length comes into play when you decide what you primarily want them for, with shorter paddles being aimed at freestyle, mid-long for river running, and fairly long paddles for sea kayaking. I'm not sure about the other disciplines.

Andrew was singing the praises of the new Core paddles, but then Andrew's gear is automatically the best gear on the planet so that goes without saying. I've heard once you get a set of AT's you'lll never want a different brand of paddles, cause they're really nice to use, but they are also known to be prone to breaking - as are Double Diamonds (werner are normally reknowned for very strong paddles, but the foam core isn't meant for rock bashing), based on myself and Barry's experience with them anyway. I've had 2 sets break and he has had a set of AT's and DD's break. But if you plan on taking care of them and don't be hopping them off rock walls and stuff, they should last fine.

So it depends entirely on what you like and what you want them for, and also if they will represent good value for money to you - is paying €400 worth it to you to use a set of double diamonds rather than club paddles/cheaper alternative? I know for me it was, but each to their own. It could be well worth keeping an eye on the IrishWhitewater and IrishFreestyle forums to see if any sets pop up second hand - and so are considerably cheaper.

Hope that helps, all I've ever really used are Players and Double Diamonds and loved both of em. If I had to reccomend one of the two it'd be players because they give great feedback from the blade and seem to be stronger. Having used foam core though i think I'd find it hard to go back

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:47 am

Foam core blades are super light, super expensive & super brittle.

Like Higgins said, it depends on what you wanna do. If I were to buy a 2nd set right now, I'd buy a fiberglass creek blade - but I have 3/4 of a nice freestyle paddle already and not a lot of $$$.

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Hey guys as I have no safety gear i think time to get some so I was wondering what people recommend.
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm

I recommend not buying safety gear if you don't know what you need. Having gear on a river and not knowing how to use it is a terrible idea.
Having said that start with a rope and a knife. A sling and a crab can be handy for climbing down the shit shoot and doing X-rescues and stuff too.
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com