FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Simon

Re: FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Postby Simon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:59 am

While it would be worth trading in and getting either a playboat or creeker, in my opinion you need to know yourself which discipline you prefer, and hence which type of boat you would get more use out of. Because of that, it could be very hard to know when you've been paddling as long as you have. In your circumstance, I'd say the decision boils down to- do you definitely know which you prefer, If so, go for it, if not hold on
mobile-0879179075
simonpgordon92@gmail.com

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:31 am

I'm Simon and I use big words.
You don't need to buy a boat until you start paddling water that you aren't allowed bring club gear on.

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:03 am

you should try and get all your gear first as theres no point in having a boat and no gear to paddle it with as you will have to use club gear ,which all the same club rules apply ,if you have all the gear for kayaking ba ,helmet(decent),cag, spraydeck ,padddle then by all means go for it but as simon said you need to make your mind up on which type of boat you want and do you have all the gear
085-seven2four0seven3two

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 pm

purplegreendave wrote:I'm Simon and I use big words.
You don't need to buy a boat until you start paddling water that you aren't allowed bring club gear on.

I bought a playboat first, and if your into playboating, I'd reccomend the same. Playboats are cramped and uncomfortable at best, and when you have multiple people sharing the same club-boats, your never gonna set up the outfitting to be as well balanced and comfortable as you would if it was just you using the boat - you can customise it to your fit with foam etc.

Creek boats, most people I spoke to when I was getting my first boat, are much more amenable to different people hopping in and out of them, being bigger, more accomodating, and having an adjustable footrest.

So unless your planning on needing a creek boat outside club trips and club sessions anytime soon, I'd get the playboat if it were me, based on the same logic I had when I got my first boat. Be sure you have the interest though - fair boat of cash to be forking out if your gonna loose interest in playboating. Don't neglect other gear either - if you don't already have a cag, if I were buying all my gear again I would 100% start with that. If your boating in Ireland, unless maybe you prefer a wetsuit for whatever reason, a cag is essential. New paddles are also an awesome thing to get your hands on if you've been using the club ones till now, but there is always the chance you accidentally let go of them and they decide to go for a solo float down some river and not turn up again... it's an expensive mistake many people have made

grady

Postby grady » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

yea i was thinking of getting a play boat because
id have use for it in the summer surfing. as i say i have no use for my kayak at home and might as well get some money for it while its in good shape and icanoe said they would take it in exchange for the 2010 allstar. have everything sept a helmet and paddle,, thanks!!

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

2010 all star was my first boat and I loved it. We ye have to do now is get to gether in a group and organise a playboating trup to hpp in nottingham during the summer.

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 pm

I definitely agree with Andrew, gear is no substitute for actually paddling. It can be tempting to sink the money into gear, cause it should last a while, but trips abroad are well worth it. Nottingham two years ago was fantastic, I learned loads, got tons of paddling done, and had mighty craic. If people are interested in Nottingham this summer, it's a very easy trip to organise, as trips abroad go. Throw a post up on the board to gauge interest, email the committee asking if they would allow a club trip, and if so, what kind of stipulations would have to be met (provided you wish to run it as a club trip - in other words, use club gear. There are plenty of people in the club who've made the trip before, who would be willing to supervise whoever runs it

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 pm

those anyone know anything about riot magnum boats
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Barry L

Postby Barry L » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:01 am

Really nice boat to paddle but the plastic ain't the best and tends to break a little to easy. I'd say your better off going for something else

http://barryloughnane.blogspot.com/

gmail:b.loughnane1@gmail.com

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Made in China. Make of that what you will.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

http://www.i-canoe.com/Sweet+Clearance/Sweet+Shadrach+Drytop.html

SWEET SHADRACH CAGS ONLY 130 euro its a really good cag ive have one brilliant cag this is extreamly cheap i bought mine for 200 and that waS REALLY CHEAP AT THE TIME
085-seven2four0seven3two

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm also very happy with the shadrach cag, for that price, it's fantastic value

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 pm

The shadrach is sold out now.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Kokata Helix or NRS Flux cags?

^>^>^>^>^>^>

Jamie Mc

Postby Jamie Mc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Mark McNally wrote:The shadrach is sold out now.

I think Cathal Kelly had a Helix and if you can track down Cian Keegan he had a flux. I could be completely wrong on all that.
087-757 TWO 779
jamiemc89ATgmail.com

Stay frosty gents.

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 pm

Jamie Mc wrote:
Mark McNally wrote:The shadrach is sold out now.

I think Cathal Kelly had a Helix and if you can track down Cian Keegan he had a flux. I could be completely wrong on all that.

Joe Scott bought Cian's cag, so whatever he had he no longer does.