FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Cian

FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Postby Cian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:02 pm

I've noticed alot first years are dominating down the Lower Corrib and the Duff in Donegal. This means that some of you have definatley been infected with Kayak Swine flu, a much deadlier form of regular swine flu that doesn't attack your body, but your wallet. It consumes all your disposable income as it forces you buy as much the shiney gear you can get your hands on.

Due to this horrible debilatating illness I have set up this thread as a clinic for anyone who has questions about the fatal virus.

What should I buy first?
What are the good brands?
What is the difference between a 300euro and a 100euro piece of gear when they look exactly the same?
How much should I pay for stuff to ease the excruciating pain of kayak swine flu?

All questions from first years will be answered, no matter how big or small!

alan.o'd

Re: FAO First Years: Gear Questions???

Postby alan.o'd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Handy thread :D

As of now all i've got is the essentials for not having to get my hands and feet amputated,
namely booties gloves and a skull cap.

I'm more so wondering what order I'm going to need to buy things in. Like a deck first, or a helmet (that isnt made out of recycled paper cups :-P )?

I've got my own wetsuit but its well aged and battered and its easier to use the club ones rather than lugging it around the college all day, do i need any gear in that area ?
086 1992962

Shannon W.

Postby Shannon W. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:08 am

Yes. All of those. Price is a big thing, though... as a very beginner kayaker I can't go dropping 300 euros on some gear : ( But at some point, if I want to keep it up, it's going to be better than renting it, right?

Another question: can the whole club just transfer over to Minnesota and take me down some rivers there? Please and thank you.

KMac

Postby KMac » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:16 am

Shannon W. wrote:Another question: can the whole club just transfer over to Minnesota and take me down some rivers there? Please and thank you.

orrrr... youse could start with some surf kayaking in New Jersey and then kayak cross-country to Minnesoooooota :-)
Kate MacAllister

"YOLO...You Only Live Once"

alan.o'd

Postby alan.o'd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:45 am

Shannon W. wrote:Yes. All of those.

I see....
086 1992962

Shannon W.

Postby Shannon W. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:54 am

"All of those" as in "all of the sample questions in the first post."

Also, compliments of Jamie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOb1SrzC08

You'd get nice rivers, plus that charming Minnesooooota accent!

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:06 am

Hey Alan. Im sure Cian will agree here, so i'll save him thinking of some of these things in his next post cause im bored. Your doing the right thing in buying things that will help to keep you warm. Thermals and a Cag are the way to go next for sure. As for which brands and costs Cian is obviously your man, and he'll go through this in his next post or on wednesday im sure. Dont hesistate to use the club neoprene decks (we just got new ones) they are hanging up beside the wetsuit cage, keep in mind though that you cant kick these decks off and a confident capsize drill is needed.

Here is a pretty decent site for gear and its where i got most of my stuff.. http://www.i-canoe.com

Happy browsing.. And oh Cian is right Kayaking is the swine Flu of your wallet :rofl:

Think of it this way though, we get to use the waterways and rivers of Ireland for free, so the cost has to be incurred in other ways, namely flashy gear. :clap:

One word of advice which is really just my own opinion: Don't rush into buying a full set of half decent gear, you are only goin to want something better in a few months. So get a bit extra wet for a while and be slightly colder and hold out for what you are absolutely sure is the best for you.

I only had a cag, thermals and booties before the start of Summer.

Now im pretty poor and about to put myself in more debt when i buy my kayak :worried:

Happy Shopping.

tiernan

Postby tiernan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 am

ya can pick up some good second hand deals here:

http://www.irishfreestyle.com/forums/buysell

if in doubt tho, ask someone in the club about whats being sold or even get them to come with you to view it.

T
“Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music” - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

steven
O.F.B.

Postby steven » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 am

Stay away from River Deep if you are buying gear :D

johns86

Postby johns86 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 am

steven wrote:Stay away from River Deep if you are buying gear :D

I disagree.... lets not start this big arguement again, but I have found Pat's prices can be competitive and are not set in stone. Plus its good to support local business if it doesn't cost you any extra. It also means you don't have to travel far to a shop and instead of buying online you can actually try stuff on etc before you buy.
By all means shop around to get the best deal, but just don't ignore your local shop. Offer them your custom if they can match the lower price you find. The worst they can do is say no.
Depending on what you need, River deep mountain high, Galway maritime, great outdoors, and Pennys (for cheap fleeces etc) are good shops here in galway.
John 0863352900
Gtalk: johnstaunton86@gmail.com
msn: johns86@hotmail.com
www.d-john.com

JK
O.F.B.

Postby JK » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:41 am

You really think Steve is trying to start an arguement?

Lir Canoe Club won't let me join up.

steven
O.F.B.

Postby steven » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

Hense the :D , ya go for river deep, they have lots of good gear

tiernan

Postby tiernan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 pm

Maybe RDMH can put together special packs of equipment like here : http://www.i-canoe.com/Package+Deals.htm
“Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music” - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

darragh

Postby darragh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:30 pm

tiernan wrote:Maybe RDMH can put together special packs of equipment like here : http://www.i-canoe.com/Package+Deals.htm

Go into the shop, talk to Pat or Cian about what you need and they'll be sure to give you a good price.

But as John said, shop around and find the best price and don't be afraid to see if RDMH will match any lower prices you come across.

Try not to jump striaght into buying, there are plenty of people in the club with a huge variety of gear.
Ask can you try it out, try out as many different types as you can and see what suits you.
And as said above, feel free to ask any of the club members what they think about whatever piece of kit.
087 9728266
I do enjoy a good sticker, lets poeple know.

Cian

Postby Cian » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Tiernan wrote:Maybe RDMH can put together special packs of equipment like here : http://www.i-canoe.com/Package+Deals.htm

Would you have bought ANY of that gear as a beginner? I doubt you would, and if someone advised you to buy it you wouldn't have thanked them for it.

I'll see if we can put a package together, something like neo pants, semi dry cag and helmet/BA or something. I'm not a great believer in packages because I'd rather buy sometthing good once and pay for the money for it than buy something shite your gonna get rid of before it wears out.