<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

careyisastar

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby careyisastar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Name of Swimmer: Carey Georgius
Date: 5/10/18 and 6/10/18
Shitty excuse: Tbh I'm just really good at swimming and you should always stick to what you're good at :-P
Real excuse: There are a lot of swims, so I'm gonna break it down for y'all.
Day 1, Swim 1: An indecisive move on a minor rapid on the upper section of the Coe lead to a failed T-rescue and the first swim of the trip.

Day 1, Swim 2: Somewhere on the Coe?? Think just as we were entering the gorge, I got capsized and ended up pulling my deck instead of attempting a roll. Clearly it wasn't too traumatic though.

Day 1 , Swim 2.5: Got pinned on a rock kind of sideways in the middle of the river. Was chillin, waiting for some one to give me a hand, when Ciara came by and grab onto my boat to try and help. I ended up watched my deck slide off the cockpit rim, as she went by, and knew it was going to be my third time in the water that day, but sure go big or go home.

Day 2, Swim 0.5: Letterbox, Etive. This again is only really half a swim, because no hands touched the deck to come out of the boat. Basically I just didn't have a great boof, got sucked in sideways and my deck slid off. Was pretty funny having Ferg and Con freak out in the eddy for me to swim to them. I was getting there in my own sweet time.

Day 2, Swim 1.5: Right Angle Falls, Etive. Tbh for my first proper waterfall it wasn't bad, but I should have rolled instead of pulling my deck.

Specific Learning Outcomes: Play Boater decks are shit and I need to buy a drysuit.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: No trauma really. They were all pretty chill swims.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Pretty much every leader on the trip got me out of some jam or another, so pints on me next Wednesday!
Carey Georgius
Captain
captain@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

Henkka32

Postby Henkka32 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Fergal.Staples1 wrote:Name of Swimmer: Fergal Stapleton
Date: 7/10/2018
Shitty Excuse: One of the Stapleton's needed to swim for it to be a real club trip
Real Excuse: Ran the first stopper/hole a little too the left, lost speed, didn't have the line I wanted off the second drop. Landed, got pulled back into the hole, paddles torn out of my hand despite my best efforts to hold onto them. Popped my deck for a chill float.
Emotional issues arising from the event: Nothing really, was a chill swim.
Learning Outcomes: Need to learn that handroll.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Some locals

Decided to walk out of the river at this point, not due to being shook or anything but the river was rising and getting to be past my comfort level. I think I would have been okay but I'm happy with my decision. Sometimes you just gotta walk.

So proud of you to call it man. You styled all the way through the trip!

Brad
G.M.I.T Secretary

Postby Brad » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

Last edited by Brad on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Skidmore
085 one616two20
Marcin: Back paddling is like leg day, you just don't do it

Brad
G.M.I.T Secretary

Postby Brad » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

Brad wrote: Name of swimmer: Bradley Skidmore
Date: 3/10/14
Location: Seanafaurrachain - some generic, tight chute after a drop near the top before Disney land

Shitty excuse: came down some right hand type chute, rode up the left wall, capsized onto backdeck. Paddles got lodged across the river quicker than I could even think about rolling. Face down, no paddles, low water on an already rocky run meant I wasn't keen on hanging round. Especially when I didn't know what was 10m further down the river!
Emotional issues: none really, just annoying...should of just held on for a few more seconds as I momentarily saw Barry was already out his boat and could of got to me easily enough. Always seems easier in hindsight I guess
Persons requiring rescue pints: Barry got my boat and I got out beside it. Ran to get my paddles which were handily waiting for collection.. before Higgins ended up taking an unsuspecting paddle to the face :tmi: (perfect example of distancing when there's no line of sight if you want to take a plus out of it)

Well well well, 4 years on and we're back here in the least eventful swim yet again. If you know me at all you'd know I've been asking for something to bite me in the ass in the safest way possible for a few years now.
Name of Swimmer: Bradley
Date:28/10/2018
Shitty excuse: Club wave is lairy on low water
Real excuse: Lets not beat around the bush, the seat position in the Antix is shocking. Dropping into club wave and knew I was going to get blasted towards the bottom at great speed. Rudder in, body position setup for the hit- Instantaneously looped out of the boat and slammed into the trough of the wave whilst the boat continued to surf the wave.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I was ejected so quick I couldn't do anything to save it, injustice!!! Had to empty the tank to tow all my gear and a full antix into the bank (whilst laughing at how ridiculous the situation was)
Persons requiring rescue pints: No one...self rescued. Would of been goosed without some paddle fitness![/quote]
Bradley Skidmore
085 one616two20
Marcin: Back paddling is like leg day, you just don't do it

Fergal.Staples1

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Name of Swimmer hey it's ya boy Skinny Penis, (Fergal)
Location chunky Aasleagh
Date 3/10/2018
Shitty Excuse love me a dirty hole
Real Excuse she was chunky enough, boofed the hole, sucked back, window shaded about 5-6 times, carped like fuck when the hole spit me out. Needed oxygen and swam.
Learning Outcomes getting wanked in a hole is actually pretty fun. Need to evolve gills though
Emotional issues arising from event Not much, gave it a real fight but lack of oxygen got to me. Real emotional fallout is Luke just missing recording me rip.
Swim Bootie Evidence Y/N yeet
All in all, little annoyed at a swim so soon after the last one but not ashamed at swimming here.

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Name of Swimmer: Ciara
Date: 13/11/2018
Shitty excuse: prepping the hole for Carey after Ciana prepped it for me!!!! :laugh:
Real excuse: terrible line but I've learnt from my mistakes and will hopefully choose cleaner lines in the future
Emotional Issues arising from the event: confidence blow
Learning outcomes: pick better lines and paddle harder :D
Persons requiring rescue pints: Laoise you star!
Swim bootie?: Not yet ...
Ciara Wall
F.Y.R.

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 am

Ciara.wall wrote:River Ettive

Damn, that's a long drive for one day's paddling! :laugh:
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:38 pm

l.whelan11 wrote:
Ciara.wall wrote:River Ettive

Damn, that's a long drive for one day's paddling! :laugh:

Meant the Erriff :rofl:
Ciara Wall
F.Y.R.

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Name of Swimmer: Ciara
Date: 02/12/2018
Shitty excuse: Too dirty for a squirty
Real Excuse: First time on Topdrop and second time doing the Boluisce from top to bottom. I was also in a Pyranha Prozone so it was quite a sporty lap, maybe not the best boat for doing Topdrop for the first time though... My line was a bit off entering the rapid and I couldn't see where I was going because the water was hitting me in the face because the bow of the boat is so low. Can't remember exactly what capsized me but it happened!!! A few bashes later and BAM I'm swimming. Doesn't make sense but I went with the flow.
Learning Outcomes: I know I can hold out underwater for much longer. I doubt my capabilities sometimes but I'm learning to overcome the doubt and use it to my advantage!
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Been beating myself up about it since but went to the Clare Glens the day after (in the prozone…) and redeemed myself (no swims!).
Persons requiring rescue pints: Staples and Aoife!
Swim Bootie: To be completed
Ciara Wall
F.Y.R.

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:29 pm

Name of Swimmer: Me, myself and I
Date: 27/01/2019
Shitty excuse: Didn't jump off the bridge after my first full lap...
Real excuse: capsized near the beginning of Ninja Hole Rapid, wasn't the most pleasant of capsizes and I got battered while upside down. A few blows to the head later and I was swimming. Can't exactly remember what happened...
Emotional Issues arising from the event: was so proud of myself after my first full lap only to swim on the second.
Learning outcomes: try not to focus on what went wrong but also what I did well.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Con & Staples!
Last edited by Ciara.wall on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ciara Wall
F.Y.R.

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Name of Swimmer: Mise
Date: 26/1/19
Shitty excuse: I wanted to test my drysuit.
Real excuse: Apparently I can't roll.
SLOs: Drysuits are wasted on people who don't swim regularly.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Shtaples

Ciara.wall

Postby Ciara.wall » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:40 am

Name of Swimmer: Ciara Wall
Date: 06/03/2019
Shitty excuse: Tried a reverse cobra flip off of Mikey's into a rather spicy hole that was quite fond of myself and my boat.
Real excuse: Got sucked into a hole and I surfed it for over a minute while "screaming hysterically" thinking I wouldn't make it out. My muscles eventually gave in to the exhaustion and I capsized. I thought it was the end.
But no, I was meant to complete a swimmer's file.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Seems like I swim way too much even though I'm so young and pushing myself and hopefully improving. Also, writing swimmers files and it seeming like only me is swimming is hard and disheartening.
Learning outcomes: screaming is not beneficial.... 1). I swallowed more water than I would have liked.
2). I wasted valuable energy.
Persons requiring rescue pints: My Mammy's, Con & Laoise
Ciara Wall
F.Y.R.

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Foreword
Reading a couple of the last swim reports it seems that getting out of holes without swimming is a bit of an enigma to some (don't worry Brad, you'll get there some day). And I definitely can relate to that (more so a few years ago) - it is a tricky exercise both physically and mentally. There is also the fact that people generally focus on avoiding/boofing/plugging holes to get through them, which is good because eliminating a risk is always better than relying on your back up system (in this case surfing out of a hole).

However

There are definitely steps you can take to improve your chances of getting out of a hole once you're stuck in it, and here is a good place to talk about that. First of all, I would point you in the direction of some videos...

:cash: :cash: :cash: Lit Review :cash: :cash: :cash:
A nice video by EJ regarding reading holes and a little bit about getting out of them in your boat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeDFLbaA3A

A great technical breakdown of holes by Chris Wing (hole movement starts at 4:08 but I recommend watching all of it when you have time):
https://youtu.be/cuy66dwN_u4?t=248

The Mental Game
One thing that's not really covered in all of this is the mental aspect. What goes through your head when you're stuck in a nasty side surf? Probably not much more than "oh god, oh fuck". The difficulty is that side surfing a hole can overwhelm you with sensory information. It can be surprsingly loud and powerful, sometimes triggering a bit of a freeze/deer-in-headlights response. This doesn't really lend itself very well to thinking clearly.

Similar to training muscle memory for freestyle for example, you need to train your mind to avoid this very natural reaction. A good time to do this is during a freestyle session, or during a river run when you see an easy hole (relative to you). Drop into the hole, and run through the set of instructions in the checklist below, in your head.

The Checklist
For me, if I drop into a hole that triggers that stomach-lurching feeling of "I might not get out of this", I just think of the word "checklist". It's one easy action that is easy to remember that can help focus your mind. Next, think about each item on the checklist:

1. Bow rudder to try to get out of the hole on the front side
2. Back sweeps to try to get out of the hole on the back side
3. As a last resort: tactical capsize (with tucked elbows)

The tactical capsize is interesting because it sounds dumb but can work surprisingly well. I can't count how many times I've watched someone hang on bravely in a side surf, accidentally capsize, and then swim immediately as their boat floats out of the hole with them. If only they had waited another second or two after capsizing! I think it comes back to the mental game. And purposefully capsizing can help remove that element of surprise from "oh shit I capsized, time to GTFO" to "ok, time to capsize, wait and roll". This also gives you a chance to take a breath before you keel over. Maybe this only works for me though...(see attached academic graphic).

Long boy catches the green.png
Long boy catches the green.png (35.15 KiB) Viewed 71 times

I would still like to emphasise that this should be used as a last resort - you should always try to surf out first!

The Aftermath
One last thing I'd like to mention is why I think it is harder to roll after a hole than in flatwater. The water is very aerated, meaning it offers very little resistance when you pull your blade through it. For me, this means I need to take a longer path through the water to get the same amount of support - i.e. skulling after the initial rolling stroke is completed to keep continuous pressure on your blade while you bring your body up . If you spend some time capsizing in holes, you will start to expect this effect and compensate accordingly. Shameless self promotion of me doing this after making a balls of left line on top drop:

https://youtu.be/zD1RamVTUg0?t=67

Closing Words
Hope this sheds some light on my thought process for dealing with holes! There is a lot more that could be covered (reading a hole while you're in it (i.e. finding exit points), purposeful/accidental enders, taking the downstream environment into consideration etc.) but I think I'll leave it at this for now. Would like to hear other people's thoughts on this :-)
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm

To build on what Luke has written. Best post in a long time imo, I want to add a few short pieces.

- Tactical capsize should provide some benefit to everyone, if you maintain composed during its execution. You've a greater chance of catching some green water upside down than if you were trying to draw stroke out of the hole right side up. Obviously, as Luke pointed out, this works even better for those that are not vertically challenged.

- I'd like to add the ender as another potential escape method. This would be more useful outside of Ireland where the rivers are deeper and you won't hit the bottom during this maneuver. Similar to a loop, line straight up and plug your bow. Next, stand straight up, before you go fully vertical and your bow should either A) reject you downstream with the pop, B) catch the green water under the foam pile or C) both.

- And finally, as a last, last resort if you find yourself inhabiting a particularly clingy hole, one that would continue embracing you despite your best cannonball-starfish routine, you can pull your deck and stay in the boat. The extra mass of water in the boat and larger surface area of the boat vs your body should leave you floating serenely into the pool where you can collect your beer for your bootie.

Cathal Kelly

Postby Cathal Kelly » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:39 pm

In terms of holes my order of order of tactics would be

1. Avoid (go around)*
2. Boof over small holes/pourovers
3. Tuck under/through really big holes
4. If you get stuck in a side surf, paddle out to one side (not always possible, some holes have a weak point, others keep you in the meat)
5. The ole tactical capsize
6. Plug an end and try to loop out
7. Get roped out in your boat
8. Pull your deck, stay in your boat so that it fills with water and you (and your boat) get pushed deep into the green water and flush out of the hole
9. Pull your deck, swim and flush
10. Receive a rope/live bait if swimming and getting retained in the hole
11. The hail mary - ball up / exploding starfish technique

Clifden at 5m+ is probably a good/safe place to practice the first 6 at least, probably 8 and 9 aswell.
Putting oneself into a very violent potentially body recirculating hole would not be pleasant so I dunno how fun/beneficial practising the rest would be.

Freestyle and a good level of fitness definitely helps loads aswell, in terms of keeping your cool and maintaining good boat control skills.

No matter how bad a beating you're getting you are usually better off in your boat, at least you are guaranteed air and it buys your friends time to set up a rescue.

I like to share this video every now and again. Eric Boomer is my hero...swimming was not an option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5cO78XWFIU

* I say avoid but sometimes holes are good; you might need to slow down to space out from the person in front, you might want to play and do some freestyle, or you could use the hole to surf from one side of the river to the other with minimal effort.

We will be reviving the Whitewater 101 course pretty soon. The idea is to cover alot of the tactics in a lecture first before going out to the Boluisce to practice various swim and rescue scenarios.
hmm to go drinking or to go paddling
cathal.kayak@gmail.com